Non-transferrable Registration Marks - MarkSmith
A while ago I saw an old car for sale with a nice registration plate bearing my initials. I inquired about the car (I would probably have paid the asking price for it just for the number, and sold the remainder (an old Austin A7 I think) on for whatever I could get for it). However the registration mark could not be transferred to another vehicle because it had been assigned to the vehicle when its original registration mark had been sold on.

The seller mentioned that there may be some way to get around this restriction (but he didn't know how). Does anyone know what it is?

I would not be interested in anything illegal, but don't mind going to some hassle.

Thanks!
Mark
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - martint123
The seller mentioned that there may be some way to get around this restriction

Wishfull thinking.

Martin
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - henry k
The seller mentioned that there may be some way to get
around this restriction
Wishfull thinking.

Agree with that.

A few weeks ago I put a registration mark on retention.
The replacement for the old registration came with a clear statement that this replacement is NOT transferable.
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - cheddar
A few weeks ago I put a registration mark on retention.
The replacement for the old registration came with a clear statement
that this replacement is NOT transferable.

I am not sure about is however it might be that it is not transerfable by you though is by a future owner of the vehicle.
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - Imagos
As a cherished registration owner I have some experience of this. It is NOT transferable and you have no chance of getting round it unless rule change which is HIGHLY unlikely.

If your desperate to have your initials on a plate why don't you try the number plate search on this webpage to the right on your screen >>>>>>>> this way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - Bromptonaut
"Appropriate" marks are allocated to restoration projects, imports etc at normal DVLA charge rates. It would clearly be invidious and a loss to the taxpayer if those acquiring such reggies could cash them in for £££ later. If the restorer/importer wants the mark to be transferrable he should pay the market rate.

As Imagos says these rules are quite strict. When the MoL gave up driving we put her cherished plate on retention. The car then reverted to the entirely unremarkable J prefix it was allocated on first registration. That mark was however expressly non transferrable.
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - cheddar
So what if one buys a car that has previously had a personal plate on it and has had a replacement provided by the DVLA when the previous owner transfered the PP to a new vehicle. I assume that this vehicle does not have to have this plate for life, i.e. surely the new owner can transfer his own PP on to it?
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - henry k
So what if one buys a car that has previously had
a personal plate on it and has had a replacement provided
by the DVLA when the previous owner transfered the PP to
a new vehicle. I assume that this vehicle does not have
to have this plate for life, i.e. surely the new owner
can transfer his own PP on to it?

Yes as far as I know a personal plate can replace the replacement.
It is the replacement plate that is in effect plucked out of a drawer at the DVLA that is not transferable.
I was at the DVLA a few months ago when they wandered off and came back with some unmemorable registration for my car.
I will try and find the paperwork.
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - Dwight Van Driver
Mark

Go to the DVLA site and send them an E Mail on what you want to do. As the ultimate authority they will say yeah or nay.

DVD
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - MarkSmith
Thanks for the replies, all. Seems it really might not be possible - although I will write to the DVLA to check there's really no way.

Marks are available with my initials, but my initials (MAS) are very expensive (very common) and besides, the one I saw was really good (3xletter, 3xnumber, and "good" numbers at that) - much better than the only-slightly-personalised Letter-Number-Letter-Letter-Letter plates available in most places.

Thanks for your input folks!

-Mark
Non-transferrable Registration Marks - brian_h
I have the same issue. I bought a car which had a personal plate on when I viewed it, when I went to pick it up the DVLA had assigned it's original plate back to the car, but as luck would have it, it was a nice plate too, maybe worth upto £2k. I paid nothing extra to account for the plate so it was a bonus. Now I want to sell the car I quite fancy keeping the plate, but it is said on the V5 to be non-transferable.

The DVLA over the phone said to me I could write in and they would consider my request to transfer the plate, but it didn't sound that hopeful. I suppose I might just have to resign myself to the fact that I didn't buy it so there's no loss and someone might pay a bit more for the car with it on.

Non-transferrable Registration Marks - Altea Ego
My Giddy Aunt!

I just did a search for my initials and It came up with a really nice one in the format LL-N (where l=letter n=number)

Ok the number was 1

But they want --- wait for it ----- £275,000