vauxhall ecotech cylinder head - jocky
Would anyone be able to help me with regards to changing the head gasket?My cars done 135,000 miles now but its now starting to drink about a litre of water every few days so I would think its the head gasket.Ive changed HG,s on SOHC engines but not on the DOHC type.Would I be able to take the head off without removing the inlet and exhaust manifold???Is it possible to get to the head bolts without removing the camshafts as I've heard on the ecotech engine the head bolts are underneath the cams????
If so is it easy enough to do this???Would you recomend using a tomic gasket to do the job???anybody know any of the answers to these questions I would appreciate it
vauxhall ecotech cylinder head - Civic8
What car is it?.FIL`s corsa suffered this but wasnt HGF.was leak on bottom of pipe from thermostat to rad.not saying yours is but possible? any other reason to suspect HGF?
--
Steve
definitly no leaks anywhere else,but no 4 cylinder is damp when I took spark plug out for a look,Im not loosing oil but the car is quite smokey,or more like steamy its a cavalier 2.0 16v Mreg
vauxhall ecotech cylinder head - madmechanic
hi i would say the head gaskit has gone if they is white smoke coming out of the back you do have to take the cams out its not the hardest job to do but it not a easy job if you were going to do it your self then take your time and make sure u get that timing right you dont want to betaking it back off again

i you need any more help contact me on msn john@jcautos.co.uk

John
thats where I'm a bit confused,when u change the timing belt u lock up the two cams to keep the valves and hydrauic tappets in place but when u take the cams out u will be knockin it all out of place anyway, so why do u need to lock up the cams if its only a case of makins sure they are both at TDC whe n u only change the belt,by the way the car has ran like this for about 6 months with only a slight loss of power and as I says myoils still clean ie no water mixed in
thats where I'm a bit confused,when u change the timing belt u lock up the two cams to keep the valves and hydrauic tappets in place but when u take the cams out u will be knockin it all out of place anyway,

You wont. once the cam belt is in place correctly adjusted. It will stay there..Only point I would make is. I am not convinced without further checks it is HGF..Apart from your first post.How much steam/white smoke is coming from exhaust..small amount is normal..vast clouds another matter.?
--
Steve
the car is quite smokey but I'm not loosing oil,and it is drinking about a litre of water every 2 days,no 4 cylinder is very damp inside,spark plug pure white compared to the others which looked normal.I tried an additive where u stop comression at that cylinder and let the car run for 5 mins and it did seal it.....for a about a weeek!
So where is the water going if i'm not loosing it externally?
Sorry Jocky..dont shout. {He isn't anymore - I've turned his volume down. DD}

If you think you have this prob then by all means replace.Your first point was a bit vague in that you suspected HGF before proving it..Wont say anymore!
--
Steve
vauxhall ecotech cylinder head - Dynamic Dave
So where is the water going if i'm not loosing it
externally?

Out through the exhaust pipe I expect. The head gasket could have failed internally between one of the cylinders and the cooling jacket. To quote another BR member (aprilla) "Ask the garage to test the coolant system for hydrocarbons (HC) - they should show up on the 4-gas analyser."