Golf Mk2 GTI 8v Lights problem - mattieboy
Hi all

I have recently got my Mk2 Golf GTI back from the repair shop, where a new passenger side wing, grille, bumper and passenger side lighting has been fitted. When I turn the lights on the passenger side light only goes to what I would suggest is side lights, where it is obviously dim and hasn't lit up properly. The drivers-side light is fine. Occasionally the passenger-side will suddenly light up to the full, main headlight (the problem will disappear), although there is nothing obvious that causes this to happen. There is a further problem, when the keys are removed from the ignition, the front lights stay on on the passenger side, but go off completely for the drivers side - the reverse of the problem with the main headlights.

I can take it back for repair, but the garage is quite far away and would entail a morning off work. If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be I'd be grateful if they could let me know. I've had a check for loose connections, nothing obvious so far.

Cheers
Matt
Golf Mk2 GTI 8v Lights problem - Peter D
It sounds like a straight connection problem. When you say 'light only goes to what I would suggest is side lights' is the side light bulb that is on or is it a dim headlight bulb. I would check the connection on the rear of the bulb and locate the earth point on the inner wing. The lights staying on is probably due to you leaving the indicator on to the left, you can leave them on on the right as well. Regards Peter
Peter

Many thanks for reply, I'll try the connection to the wing - this was all replaced so would make sense something hasn't been done properly.

Regarding the indicator, the lights always stayed on without the key in (very dimly) but now the drivers side goes out completely. It's not a parking light issue, but cheers for suggestion anyway.

Matt
Golf Mk2 GTI 8v Lights problem - pmh
I need to think this thro in detail, but my educated guess is that a single earth lead is missing/or poss poor connection where bolted to new paint work. If you havent got it fixed quickly I will give a little more brain power.

Try and check that earth points AT THE BULBS are at 0v using meter or even a test bulb when lights are turned on. Measure relative to battery negative terminal or engine Block.

p

pmh (was peter)
Hi

Thanks for comments. The cause of the weak/missing passenger side main light was a fuse problem - it hadn't actually blown, but was arcing, as shown by black marks on blades. Apparently quite common on golfs, I'd never heard of it before hence I simply made sure it hadn't blown. Replaced fuse and it seems OK.

Still a problem with the drivers-side side light, however, looks very dim and goes out when the keys are taken from the ignition which it didn't do before repairs. This light wasn't replaced, but suspect it was disconnected whilst new grille was fitted. Will check earth when I get a chance.

I'm a little concerned as it goes for MOT on wednesday. The main lights work, and the sides come on but the drivers side appears (under cursory examination) to be dim. Does anyone know what MOT requirements are for sides? Is it simply 'on', or is there a luminance requirement? Also, I know the highway code requires all cars that are parked on unlit roads to have lights left on, which implies that lights should work without the key in - is this an MOT check?

Cheers
Matt
Hi all

Problems fixed, one of which I should have spotted, the other was a new one on me.

The lights should remain on with the keys removed, although at a dimmer level to main lights. My drivers side front light didn't stay on. I hadn't realised that these lights were totally different circuits and bulbs to main and side-lights, headlight was losely fitted after crash repair and hence connection to bulb went. Replaced bulb and sorted wiring, all OK. Annoyed I missed a dodgy bulb connection, I hadn't realised it was totally seperate.

Intermitttent fault on passenger side headlight (which was replaced after crash damage) was strange - the fuse was arcing. It hadn't blown, which I had checked for previously, but had black marks on contacts. Replaced and all seems fine. Never come across it before, fuse box is inside car so not much corrosion, and it fits firmly into place so was not expecting any contact problems.

In short, it was a form of connection problem, I'm quite surprised to find it in the fuse box though.

Cheers
Matt
Sorry, repeated myself a little there, I've posted to a few forums and forgot that I had previously updated this thread.