Tata Loadbeta - sparkythecat
My mate has a 1997 Loadbeta with a 1948cc normally aspirated diesel engine. It's done a 140,000 miles and whilst the chassis and bodywork are OK the engine is shot. The cylinder head is cracked and the bottom end is also very very tired. Does anyone know what engine we can use as a replacement?. The original engine we understand, is a Peugeot design made under licence by Tata. Someone has suggested the old Peugeot 504 / Sierra 2.3 These engines may well fit but these are like rocking horse poo and/or have been 'taxied' to death. Someone else has suggested that the Peugeot 405 diesel will fit. Whilst these are more readily available, they are a transverse engine and because of that we're a bit sceptical as to whether or not one would fit. We've tried a number of online partfinder sites without success but have a contact in the scrap trade locally from whom we could source an engine very cheaply if only we knew exactly which engine to use. Can anyone help?

Tata Loadbeta - itchy
If its a pug derived diesel engine then any peugeot or citreon XUD engine will fit. That may give you a few more options, all the hdi's, dt's and I believe even the gti engines all use the XUD. Hopefully this will give you more scope. If you decide you want a pug engine then go to www.peugeot-gti.net and ask in the forums. Always people breaking their cars on there so you will get proper engine history as opposed to a breakers yard where you can never be certain where the engine came from. Alternatively, if you decide to repair the old engine I have a cylinder head with cam / valves and vacuum pump for sale. Its all good working order, only came off the car 2 weeks ago to be replaced with a fully reworked head that has been flowed etc. The bottom end should see another 100k no problems.
Tata Loadbeta - Ross_D
There were Peugeot diesels before the XUD you know! Yes, this engine is the extremely old 2.0 Diesel used the 504. Peugeot called it the XD11. You might find a 505 diesel around somewhere, these used the 2.5 version of this engine in turbo and non-turbo forms. (XD3 and XD3T). Exchange and mart will most likely throw up some leads.
I very much doubt the XUD will fit being a transverse design, the XD series being a longitudinal OHV design.
Tata Loadbeta - Big Cat
I'm surprised the engine has has its day at only 140K. If this is the engine I'm thinking off, they were as tough as old boots in the 504 and 505. Anyway, that's another issue...

I doubt you will find a decent 505 now, IIRC the very last were on a H plate, that makes them 14 years old plus.

I would try and locate another Tata to obtain the engine. You need to make sure you don't spend too much time and money on this car, with all due respect they don't have much value on the second hand market despite being good workhorses.

Good luck!