Jazz - CVT or manual - c h a r l e s

Dear Honest John & readers,

Does anyone have any experience of the Jazz fitted with the CVT gearbox? I am interested to know your opinions of it in general use, in particular is top gear (when in manual mode) useful on the motorway to help cruise at low revs? According to the specifications I've seen, top gear of the manual gives 19.9 mph per 1000rpm, meaning the engine doing 3500rpm approx for 70mph. The CVT's 7th gear is supposed to give 25mph per 1000rpm.

Does anyone have any regrets about the CVT transmission? Is it worth the £900 additional cost?

I have tested a Jazz with the manual gearbox and found it precise and pleasent to use, and I'm now seriously considering buying a Jazz but just wonder if I'll be missing anything by opting for the manual transmission rather than the CVT.

Any opinions on which will be easier to sell on in 3yrs time?

Thanks
Jazz - CVT or manual - Chad.R
HJ's own road tests of both the manual and CVT Jazz -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=60
Jazz - CVT or manual - HectorG
Charles, I am seriously considering a Jazz CVT. I have tested both manual and CVT. Whilst the manual gearbox is superb, the CVT is one of the best 'autos' I've tried. Compared to the Fiat Panda's jerky auto it is a revelation - changes are almost imperceptible - and you can always use the gearbox in 'manual' mode which also works very well.

Other important considerations when buying automatics are fuel consumption and reliability. A big advantage with CVT transmissions is that fuel consumption is usually little different to the manual and often better as in the case of the Audi's version of CVT.

Being a Honda I don't think you need to worry about reliability.
I have a CR-V and the build quality of this car is exceptional.

If you are in the market for a new Jazz bear in mind that a face-lifted model is imminent and deals on the 'old' model are available. My local dealer 'phoned me to say he had a selection of pre-registered CVT's with delivery mileage. They were only offering about £500 discount, but I'm sure you could get a little more off as these presumably came from a large stock of pre-reg cars at Honda.

There is little difference between 'old' and 'new' models.The face-lifted version has audio controls on the steering wheel and the CVT steering wheel shift is now a paddle system.

Hope this helps.

HectorG
Jazz - CVT or manual - Morris Ox
The facelift models are around now, though it's largely stuff like interior cosmetics (aluminium finish on dash, for example).

Brilliant design, though
Jazz - CVT or manual - mark999
I've only test driven a Jazz CVT, but have owned and driven several automatics. The Jazz CVT is by far the best automatic I have driven. I would think that residuals for the CVT will be a touch better han the manual.
I am close to ordering a Jazz CVT but £11k is is a lot for a second car.
Jazz - CVT or manual - tyre tread
If my experience of 61k miles in a manual box Jazz is anythng to go by, you won't regret it.

I cannot think of another car that is so versatile, cheap to run (averaged in excess of 50mpg and got records to prove it), is comfortable enough to do 400 miles in a day (and mine is one of the early jittery suspension models) and capable of carrying 2 full size filing cabinets with space to spare.

The "Magic Seats" are...... well........ erm magic!

Only one fault in 2.5 years and 61K miles was an air con sensor behind the dash -fixed under warranty.

I hate the Dealer though and caught them out trying to get away without servicing the car but trying to charge me.