Higher detergent fuel??? - holly1
Could someone please tell me what is meant by higher detergent fuel?

I currently use bog standard BP unleaded (95 RON) but was reading an article the other day which talked about swapping to a higher detergent fuel ... but I don't know what that would be. Local station only sells unleaded (95 RON), super unleaded (97 RON) and diesel.

Thanks
Higher detergent fuel??? - FP
I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that different brands of fuel have different packages of additives. Apparently (according to a BP-tanker-driving acquaintance) the fuel that comes out of the storage tanks in fuel depots is all the same (it differs only in specification, e.g. 95 RON, 97 RON), but the tanker driver adds his company's particular dose of "stuff". What goes into supermarket pumps (for example) is not up to much.

People on this site rate the Texaco and Shell packages highly, partly on the basis that their detergent qualities are good and engines run more cleanly as a result.

No doubt the experts here will give you a more detailed view.
Higher detergent fuel??? - Aprilia
Since about '95 all UK forecourt petrol has had to have detergent added to it to meet the new BS. The amount of detergent that is added is adequate for the job it has to do.

If you need (for some reason) to add more detergent then it may be better to buy an 'aftermarket' additive such as RedLine Oil's 'Fuel Injection System Cleaner'.

Higher detergent fuel??? - holly1
Thanks for the help.
Higher detergent fuel??? - Cliff Pope
" the tanker driver adds his company's particular dose of "stuff"."

That can't really be true, can it? You mean he stops in a lay-by and unscrews the lid and pours in a bucket of ingredient X, sitting astride the tank in a gale while trying to pour the stuff down the filler?
Higher detergent fuel??? - Dynamic Dave
Cliff,

It's been mentioned before by either a tanker driver himself, or someone who knows a tanker driver. If I can find the post, I'll report back with a link. The driver puts in the aditive(s) at the storage depot.
Higher detergent fuel??? - Dynamic Dave
If I can find the post, I'll report back with a link.

Well that took less time than I thought it would.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=67...5

Higher detergent fuel??? - Schnitzel
The driver adds the additive when he loads the tanker at the depot, The tanker will usually have 8 compartments, a quantity of the correct fuel and additive package will be added as per the customer's requirements. Of course, there are variations of the procedure and levels of automation depending on the site.