Wanted - best of both worlds! - Flying Red
I will be changing my car soon and I'm looking to combine the best qualities of my last 2 cars - the build quality and refinement of my BMW 523i and the ride comfort of a C5 HDi 2.2. I would a refined, comfortable and reliable 5 seater with at least 450 litres luggage space.

I can spend up to about GBP20k and would prefer to buy nearly new, to soften the depreciation. It will be a private purchase so BIK is not a consideration

I tried the new 5 series yesterday and it didn't do much for me. Reading through magazine road tests, the cars that are rated highest tend to have sharp handling and firm suspension - which isn't what I'm looking for.

I would appreciate your recommendations of cars to try out.

Thanks

FR
Wanted - best of both worlds! - Altea Ego
Jaguar X type Estate

2003 (53) 2.0d Sport, 11,000 miles, £20,995
Wanted - best of both worlds! - Truckosaurus
How about a Saab 9-5 estate? The non-Aero models have suspension geared more towards comfort and handling. Huge boot space too.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - tunacat
Toyota Camry ?
Wanted - best of both worlds! - tunacat
Rover 75 ?
Wanted - best of both worlds! - Algernon
Agreed about Camry but from experience you could waste time trying to find one, especially a V6.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - cheddar
C220 CDi estate
Thanks for your suggestions so far.

X type and Saab 9-5 are interesting possibilities.

I'm sure the C220 would be good too, but the memory of exorbitant servicing costs on an A170 is too fresh for me to go back to Mercedes yet.

Not sure about Rover 75 reliability and dealer customer care - they don't do that well in the surveys I've seen.

FR
Wanted - best of both worlds! - PW

Volvo V70 maybe?
Not sure about the V70. HJ's breakdown indicates niggling faults, although there's no doubt it's a great load carrier and nearly new 140bhp cars are within my budget.

I will look into a bit further,

Thanks

Flying Red
Wanted - best of both worlds! - Dalglish
flying red -

how about
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=153
brand new, but it has a soft ride.

or
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=99

Yeah I'd looked at the FRV and thought it a bit too wacky. :-)

I had a very short test drive in an Accord diesel and liked it but my kids have given its looks the thumbs down. Certainly it has the same accommodation as a 5 series and the diesel engine pushes it along very nicely.

We might go back and consider it again.

Flying Red
Wanted - best of both worlds! - mlj
Volvo S80? You would get a D5 SE less than a year old. Or a petrol even cheaper.

Suggested the V70 as my Dad is on his second now (an '02 D5). Takes the car once a year down to the Spain and has had no problems with the car.

In comparison a friend with a 9-5 estate moaned about all the problems he had with it.
Thanks PW for a positive recommendation of the V70 diesel - it's definitely one to add to my list of cars to look at.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - Soupytwist
Skoda Superb ?

You'll easily get a top spec diesel or petrol one for 20K, in fact you'd probably have enough left over for a nice holiday.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Thanks for the suggestion. Skoda always do well in customer satisfaction surveys although I read a long term report in Used Car Buyer that described their 2.5TDI as "little more than prime minicab fodder"! They reckon theirs lost £4k in 6 months.

F R
I wouldn't buy one new with someone else's money, let alone my own but there is a 2.8 V6 petrol which could be nice and the 130bhp PD diesel would probably be good in that car - you're sitting far enough away from the engine for it not to be too noisy I should think and it's got buckets of tourque.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - machika
I wouldn't buy one new with someone else's money, let alone
my own but there is a 2.8 V6 petrol which could
be nice and the 130bhp PD diesel would probably be good
in that car - you're sitting far enough away from the
engine for it not to be too noisy I should think
and it's got buckets of tourque.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.

Skoda badge the problem is it?
Not for me, I've got an Octaiva ! It would be the depreciation on a new one that would put me off buying new, used is another matter.

Could be for someone used to a BMW though.

--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - blank
Does the Avensis(estate?) match your luggage space requirements? I found the ride and handling superb and it was, for me, very comfortable. Accord possibly even better and, I think, larger luggage space.
Both meet my luggage space requirements. The Avensis road tests have mentioned jittery ride and engine and road noise though so your comments are very interesting. Thanks, the list gets longer.

Flying Red
Wanted - best of both worlds! - mlj
Check the S80 out. seems to meet your requirements and, I know because I have been looking myself, a 6 month old demo will hive you sizeable change from your budget. this car puts comfort first. Spec is luxurious.
Wanted - best of both worlds! - SjB {P}
> Check the S80 out

I second that.

Fantastic, refined, luxo barge with acres of space, be it shoulder room, head room, front and rear leg room, or whatever.

Watch the world pass serenely by.

2.4 170 is fine with the manual gearbox, but not the best to mate with an auto. If auto is what you want, the D5 is simply superb, with enormous torque reserves and a surprising ability to pick up its skirts when needed. 2.4 and 2.5 turbo petrols go very well indeed with either a manual or automatic gearbox, though of course cost more to run. 2.9 normally aspirated and turbocharged roadburner are expensive, and from what I have seen the more problematic children in the family. All engines have a cultured purr in the cruise, and a terrific, though still cultured, growl, when worked hard.

Oh, and if you want to experience that luxurious ride at its best, stick with 16" wheels, not 17" or the daft 18" Nebulas that I saw fitted to one the other day.

My V70, my brother's V70, and Dad's S80 have all been paragons of total reliablity. Dealer servicing is expensive (more so than BMW and Mercedes in several surveys), but good independent agents with all the VADIS diagnostic kit and knowledge to use it exist (we use just such an outfit).

If you intend garaging the car, as I do my V70 of the same width every night, be aware that that width is pretty considerable, so you may desire the electically folding mirror option as I did.

HTH

As Skodas and Avensis are coming into the equation I am going to try a wildcard suggestion. How about halving your budget and going for something more mainstream like a Mondeo or Vectra?

Again have got experience of both of these- brother in law has a Vectra 2.0DTi and I have a Mondeo TDCi and we are both extremely happy with these cars.

Think the Mondeo has the vastly superior engine (not tried the new 1.9 Vectra so can't comment on that)but think the Vectra is marginally the better and fresher looking car.

The big plus is that you can pick these cars very cheaply. I got mine (2yrs old 20,000 miles) at auction this summer and cost about 40% of what you are looking to spend- so depreciation (fingers tightly crossed) won't be too painful when the time comes to change.
Thanks for a challening post - I've always enjoyed benefiting from others' depreciation.

From what I've read, the Mondeo is quite firm and sporting in its handling, however I saw that the Vectra 1.8 is the What Car choice of used car of the year. Apparently it's much suspension is much softer than the Mondeo.

The biggest element of cost is depreciation, and the less you spend on a car, the less you'll lose on depreciation.

F R
Thanks it does help. I tried out a S80 about 3 years ago when I was looking for a car with good towing capability and quite liked it.

I think I would prefer the auto so your comments on the engine choices are helpful.

Thanks

F R