Nitrous systems - stPaul
Guys

Anyone got any views on Nitrous bystems. A guy on the Celica 190 forum has told us that he has got his system on his car using 75BHP jets and its churining out a helluva lot more power across the band in all gears. Suffice to say he's a very happy man !

I'd like to look into it further. Does anyone know of any Nitrous system suppliers and particularly installers in London/SE? What should it cost to get such a system installed and where can you get replacement gas cannisters ?

I've been recommended HighPower but they're in Yorks which is a tad far away

Anyone got any horror stories ?

I also dont quite understand how you go 'up' the Jet band. They install the first one at 25BHP and you drive away and then tell you that you can simply increase the jet to 50, then 75, then 100BHP depending on how the car performs.. how does this work? Is it a simple nozzle replacement or a full re-install ?
Re: Nitrous systems - Diesel Dave
Oooh you're asking for trouble with a Nitrous oxide system on a road car. it is intended for Drag racing where it can give you a momentary boost for a short time, not for increasing the power of your engine all the time. It was originally used in WW2 to give fighter pilots the ability to escape the enemy, but when the engines were stripped down it wa found that the pistons and conrods had ben bent by the extra power. - do tis to a Toyota and you're looking at a bill for 4 grand.
Re: Nitrous systems - David Moore
As far as I knew the Max Power etc tuners use it on already powerful cars with engines modified sufficiently to cope, and then the nitrous is used for sprints or for occasional bursts.
Re: Nitrous systems - markymarkn
I agree, I think If your gonna go nitrous you'll need the engine mods to cope with it.

As far as I know, its the jets that are different for the different power increases. But obviously bigger jet = more nitrous used. Its not a permantly on thing, you press a button that will last for a preset time.

I know a guy with a 1200cc Bandit motorbike with a nitrous on. It does wheelies down the motorway at 120!

Apparently nitrous is the cheapest way to gain BHP (when looking at BHP increase/£)
Re: Nitrous systems - green pug monsta
nitrous systms are imo not the way to go for power. Ok yes they do give phenomenal increases in power for a relatively small amount of money, but, and this is a biggy, you must have a strong sound engine as a base, as the strain put on the engine by this kinda system will quickly exploit any weakness in any of the major engine components. I know someone who has a nitrous system put on a 90k mile motor and it very quickly killed it.
As for how it works, this is my understanding. Jets are fitted to the fuelling system, as already stated in 25bhp increments. They will only allow you 25bhp to start with so you can get used to it. A micro switch is also fitted to the throttle, designed to be activated at a certain point ( ie 75% throttle as you'd use when over taking) and it then adds nitrous to the inlet charge. Works on the system that more air in gives an increase burn in the cylinder and hence more power. Down side to all of this is reliability, as i already said, as well as addictiveness and cost. Once you discover what it can do, i can bet you'll be using it very regularly and at £40 a time to refill the bottle that can last as short a period as 2 days then it can becom an expensive game!!!!!!!
As for increasing power after the mods, its just a case of going back to where you had it fitted and having them put the bigger jets in
gpm
Re: Nitrous systems - Ian (cape town)
Guy out in north cape town has a bog-standard looking 67 beetle with a nitrous kit. The ultimate Q-Car!
However, like any go-faster trick, he concedes it has to be handled with respect, and refuses to fit nitrous kits to vehicles he considers unsuitable, or for drivers who are likely to kill themselves ...