CVTs - unreliable? - Emma
Are CVTs well-known for being unreliable/ badly made/ faulty/ dodgy or is the fact that my mother's Volvo 440 CVT died after 16,000 miles just an unlucky fluke?
luv
em.
Re: CVTs - unreliable? - crazed idiot
no they are very unreliable...

when the bands snap they tend to knacker the gearbox case...

dont buy one!
volvo 340 CVT for sale. - ladas are cool
my mother has one in the garage, it hasnt been out the garage for about two years, but has been run every weekend, and had a new clutch put on a week before in was put in the garage. its a 1986 C, volvo 340 1.4, light blue, 3 door, you can have it for £600 open to offers.

its had a new clutch
new radiator
new tyres
new rubber drive belts
and comes with ALOT of spares.

watson-fam@ic24.net
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Emma
thanks, but no thanks. she's had her gearbox replaced. i'm just astonished that ANY gearbox can fall off its perch after only 16,000.
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - ladas are cool
this one has been running for 89,000 miles, and is a joy to have, its got tons of history, and has have all the kinds of fluids changed every 5500 miles, that includes the auto gearbox fluid.
is that a normal part of servicing - to replace the gearbox fluid that often?!
we just said to the volvo main dealer 'replace all fluids'. it used to be that whatever needed doing was done, and if it didnt need doing, we still did it.
so you told them, they didn't suggest it to you?
yes, as we used to have more money than sense, but now we just get by on about £35,000 after taxes :-(
thats is £35,000 from all the family members wages.
blimey! i should be so lucky! ;-)

we digress. why is no one else offering me pearls of wisdom about this infernal gearbox. i can't be the only victim, surely?!
Re: volvo 340 CVT belts. - ladas are cool
the belt did come off at 23,000 miles, but we managed to get it fixed under warranty.
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Martyn, Back Room moderator
Emma wrote:

> we digress. why is no one else offering me pearls of wisdom
> about this infernal gearbox. i can't be the only victim,
> surely?!

Probably not, Em, but the fact that you were talking about this in the middle of the night might have something to do with the lack of sensible comment. Note that Adam's message came at about half-past nine, a much more friendly hour of the day. His advice is good, too.
my mothers volvo 340 was her first car, so she wanted to keep it, but its costing £28 per month to rent the garage, so we need to sell it.
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Mark (Brazil)
>>why is no one else offering me pearls of wisdom about this infernal gearbox

I would guess that this is your problem.......

Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT ME.
Author: ladas are cool (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 18-11-01 00:53

i have a girlfriend, she is called emma, i like hanging about the clubs with her, wicked dude.
emma woods, 21 years old, from tynemouth.
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Darcy Kitchin
Mark

Not lost any more?
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Mark (Brazil)
No, "Found" in Rio again.
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Pete
How does a car with a CVT lead a new clutch or am I missing something here?
WWII Sherman Tank - ChrisR
My auntie Ethel has a Sherman tank in her garage with full US Army Service History. The tracks have been oiled every week whether they needed it or not. The only problem is it's been used mostly to go down the shops, so the gear box is likely to be a bit worn. Still, only 10K miles from new. The gun barrel is excellent for hanging shopping bags, by the way. Can anyone advise on how I can restore the camouflage markings to their original glossy sheen? I think the lacquer has gone from when it was parked under lime trees.

Funny how e-mail makes people sound convincing when they are not, isn't it?

Chris
Re: WWII Sherman Tank - Dan J
Nice one ChrisR :~)
Re: WWII Sherman Tank - Ian (cape town)
Chris,
you have been misled.
Shermans (especially the M4A3, which was the most common) didn't have gloss paint.
Try a dark olive in matt, (humbrol or airfix make a good one).
Also, make sure you check the tracks carefully when oilling them.
make sure you remove all small bits of debris from the teeth (stones, bits of stick, mini metros etc)
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Tomo
Let's hope Auntie Ethel does not "brew up"!
Re: CVTs - unreliable? - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Emma,

Hi again ! Have you tried using the search facility on this site ? Just type in CVT, select "all dates" and make sure you have an hour or so to spare !

Regards, Adam
Re: volvo 340 CVT for sale. - Honest John
In answer to Pete, yes CVTs have clutches, usually electro-mechanical. Best to change the ATF in them every year and to check the level at least once a week. Sometimes the seals leak and if the box is run on low fluid that's when the main disasters happen.

HJ