No more traffic police????? - Alwyn
Just saw a post on the UK Speedtraps Forum from SS which says that, according to a report in Motorcycle News this week ( Page 6) Notts are to scrap their Traffic Police Division and rely solely on speed cameras.

Can this crazy idea be true? No doubt all will become clear in the fullness.

If this is correct, then it shows that they are not interested in road safety and taking dangerous and drunken drivers off the road.

Just hand over your cash to the roadside motorist milking machines.

Utter, utter madness.
Re: No more traffic police????? - Alwyn
Oops, I see below that someone beat me to the story. I still think it's crazy

Cheers
Re: No more traffic police????? - Andy
So the crazy drivers can now get away with all kinds of lunatic tom-foolery as long as they stick to the speed limits.
What kind of stupid moron thought this up?
Re: No more traffic police????? - David Moore
AAAAAGHHH don't get me started on 'speeding', i was absolutely rollocked for doing '94.67... a f'ing stupid speed' on the M1 in light traffic on a sunny afternoon. I was in the outside lane leaving plenty of space in which to brake. What winds me up is that the tailgaters (e.g. when you are keeping up on the motorway but leaving some braking distance,) the drink drivers, the drug drivers (eg mum on anti depressants recently despite the warning on the packet), the grandads who crawl onto the motorway at 40 etc etc etc etc etc.... are left alone. But the 'SPEEDERS' wow they are a danger to us all and deserve to be shot despite the fact that speed as a singular cause is responsible for a tiny fraction of accidents. Yes i'm rambling and yes you say 'boy racer' but the police forces throughout the country should get their priorities right and not their incomes.
Re: No more traffic police????? - The Real Bogush
I've got links to the Motor Cycle News articles and related forum threads here:

makeashorterlink.com/?Z14B20D2
Re: No more traffic police????? - Dwight Van-Driver
Alwyn

You will probably find that Notts are scrapping their seperate Road Traffic Division and amalgamating it into a Divisional responsibility
White tops will be working with and alongside their woolley back
compatriots but still looking after Traffic matters and maybe a bit more general Police Duties.
No difference but it looks good in presentations to Police Committee,
HMI etc.
Or, have they got a new Chief Constable?
DVD
Re: No more traffic police????? - Alwyn
Full report from MotorCycle News here:

They say there?s never a copper around when you need one but that could soon be dangerously true in Nottinghamshire.
The force is scrapping its traffic division to rely on speed cameras as its sole road safety enforcement.
It?s also binning Operation Brake, a scheme which works to cut bike theft.
Notts police is denying the cost-cutting move in public, but officers have called MCN to express their dismay at the decision, which is part of a " restructuring " scheme.
One officer said: " It has been suggested within the force that this will bring about an extra 10 deaths on the roads each year.
" As far as road safety goes, speed cameras will be pretty much it and that is unacceptable. Speeding covers a narrow band of people, generally those in cars. We need to pay more attention to buses and lorries as well, which also cause accidents."
Even the most generous estimates reckon speed causes no more than a third of all accidents.
That leaves two thirds of all accidents without a team dedicated to stopping them happening in the first place.
By April, every traffic copper in the county including those on bikes will be moved to other departments.
One of those sections will be a response team staffed by officers with advanced driver training. But they will only respond, not be on the roads as a visible deterrent to prevent people driving like idiots.
Unsurprisingly, riders? clubs have attacked the plan. The BMF?s Jeff Stone said: " It?s a crazy move as cameras do nothing for road safety. We need more police on the roads, not more cameras. "
The force will also lose its off-road section, which uses two Suzuki DR-Z400s. They are used to catch criminals in inaccessible areas, be they estates or farmland. One officer said: " As soon as kids know there?s no off-road team, they?ll be out nicking bikes again. It will be back to epidemic levels. "
Nottinghamshire is one of the counties chosen to test a scheme where fines from speeding were ploughed back into more cameras.
Essex police also tested the idea and scrapped its traffic cops earlier this year.
Re: So It's A Safety Enhancement Measure! - The Real Bogush
> But they will only respond, not be on the roads as a visible deterrent to prevent people driving like idiots.

> One officer said: " It has been suggested within the force that this will bring about an extra 10 deaths on the roads each year.
Re: So It's A Safety Enhancement Measure! - Carl
Ok, does this mean no more camera vans too?

That would be a nice bonus.