Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - nivek58
Everytime I drive over a raised bump or sleeping policeman, I get a hollow knock from the front, happens on both sides, had it checked at my local ford dealership and they said it was OK.
Anyone have the same problem or know what it might be, only done 12,000 miles.
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - DL
Ball joint or anti roll bar drop link? They are the common culprits.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thanks DL, I suspected the drop links, have been underneath but all seem very tight and it is difficult to simulate the noise. Which ball joints do you mean, lower swivel or steering track rod end?? - nivek58
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - DL
The lower swivel; but at that mileage I would not expect to see wear in these areas.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thanks again DL
Any other ideas or knowledge of this problem anyone.
nivek58
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - Civic8
Would not rely on drop links being tested by hand..Doubtfull you can reproduce the knock.They are often stiff even though worn.Not forgetting pressure of anti roll bar. Giving false reading when tested by hand. Common fault on Vx Carlton and others.
--
Steve
Thanks Steve.O.
Any way of testing these on the car then or isolating them altogether, other than replacement piecemeal. Thought of disconnecting them at the bottom end to see if knock disappears, if it does then i'll replace them. What do you think ? nivek58
If only done 12ooo miles.Cannot see it being drop links.Is it not under warranty..I think I misread your post..Bear in mind tyres can give the same illusion. they can amplify sudden knocks as you stated. giving the the illusion a suspension prob...
--
Steve
Yes, still under warranty, and got local dealer to check but they they said it was OK. Just trying to get broader opinion and understanding before I go back to them. Have changed tyres over front to back, does get better the softer the tyres are, got 32psi in them, any lower and they look flat.
Any comment on my previous suggestion re disconnecting them to possibly isolate the noise??
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - Number_Cruncher
How about the possibility of duff valves in the dampers?

A batch of circa 1989 Astras came through with the rear shock absorbers knocking over bumps. Obviously, there was nothing to see underneath the car, and it was only listening to the exposed part of the shock absorber in the boot with a stethoscope which enabled us to find the fault.

number_cruncher
I wouldnt disconnect them unless you are going to replace

NC`s suggestion was a good one. But your point about tyre pressures. Make sure you keep to ford spec. Over inflation is as bad as under. so even if they dont look right.. keep to it
--
Steve
Got it booked in at the local ford dealer on monday, they reckon either drop link ball joints or AR bar bushes. Common problem apparently. they have changed these on Mk6 Fiestas which mileage much less than mine. Will report back on Monday for those interested.
Nivek58
Just back from the local ford dealer, they cannot find anything wrong, nothing loose or bottoming at all, but acknowledge there is a knock from both sides under certain conditions, they took mine out with me in it, took out two other fiesta's one a petrol the other a diesel, they took out a fusion as well, they all made the same noise - apparently!!
There is no ford technical service bulletin covering this, the dealer thinks it may possibly be a relief valve in the dampers that makes the noise but as there is no mod on the dampers as yet obviously ford have not recognised it as a problem or there have not been enough complaints.
The dealer will raise an ESR, whatever that is, to ford to make them aware of it, apparently when there are enough ESR's on the same problem ford look into it and maybe do something.
So there you are, I'll have to let the tyres down a bit, turn the radio up and in touch with ford just in case they recognise it as a problem.
Nivek58
>>may possibly be a relief valve in the dampers that makes the noise

Sounds like NC was right..Not what I would have expected at that age.
--
Steve
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - IanT
I was interested to read the garage's claim that two other Fiestas and a Fusion all made the same knock. I assume you weren't with them at the time.

Anyway, I've got a Fusion and it doesn't make any hollow knocking noises going over speed bumps. It makes big crashing noises as the shock absorbers bottom out. The ride over bumps and potholes is about the only thing I'm disappointed in with the car.

Just for the record, yours is one of very few Mk6 Fiesta problems to have hit this Technical Forum. I can only remember seeing one other in the 2.5 years the car has been around. And even yours has yet to be proven to be a manufacturing fault, rather than a "feature".

So I'm still a fan of Mk6 reliability (for the time being).

Ian
Anyone out there with a Mk6 Fiesta or Fusion experiencing a similar problem to mine and IanT's, if we can find enough then ford may recognise the problem.
Separately I am going to write to Ford Technical Information Centre to get their views, I might, if I can find alternatives, change the front dampers and see what happens but that is a route I don't really want to go down whilst still in warranty. Any suggestions on which make of damper to go for.
Nivek58
Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Knock - Number_Cruncher
I would be wary about putting non-genuine parts on so new a car - it could open a whole can of worms for any future warranty claim.

I would also be wary about fitting some more Ford dampers if they have a fault - they may be from the same batch.

It may be worth finding if there are cars in this range which have a different damper to yours; usually the sporty models have uprated suspension. See if they make the same noise on test. If they do not make the noise, then you have more evidence to support the suspicion that your dampers are faulty. Again, I wouldn't recommend fitting incorrect dampers to your car!

number_cruncher
Fiesta Mk6 Susp'n Knock - A solution ? - nivek58
Hi there,
Reporting back after 3 months of my fiesta knocking at the front, wrote to fords technical in the interim and they backed the dealer so nothing done in all this time. Got fed up with a loud radio and flat tyres and took it to another local dealer and they were altogether more helpful, friendly, receptive and hopefully more knowledgeable.
It appears there IS a known fix for this problem, they reckon it's the strut top mounts and have ordered them up for me. I wait with anticipation.
When fitted I will let you all know the outcome.
nivek58
Fiesta Mk6 Susp'n Knock - A solution - nivek58
Solution for those interested, was top mount isolators, this is a ford fix and is indicated to those looking on their oasisTIS system. Dated Oct 2002. very pleased, thank you smc crayford. nivek58
Fiesta Mk6 Susp'n Knock - iantrinsic
Hi.
Came across this post by accident, looking for solutions as we have a similar prob with wifes fiesta MK6 only a year old. Its been knocking since new, has it checked three times and dealer said no prob, As well as creaking springs I've got very frustrated with it. I will go back having read your post. It knocks at front...both sides whenever driven over bumps.
Was looking at replacing springs and shockers myself, just for a quiet ride and peace of mind.
Cheers Ian
Fiesta Mk6 Susp'n Knock - daveyjp
I presume Mk 6 is the latest Fiesta? If so my dad has just had a new shocker on the offside rear as it was really knocking. Ford denied a problem, but persistence paid off. When you spend 50+hours a week in a car teaching the last thing you need is a constant knocking, even some pupils commented on the noise as it distracted them.