This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Dynamic Dave

**** Poll closed. ****

This weeks poll, as suggested by Kith (and a couple of extra options thrown in by me) is now available.

"If you could choose any, BUT ONLY ONE of the following optional extras, which would be your choice:"

1. Air conditioning.
2. Sun roof.
3. Leather seats.
4. Electric windows.
5. Satellite navigation.
6. In-car DVD player.
7. Alloy wheels.

This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - patently
Ooooh - difficult choice!

8. Argue with my business partners that the budget needs to be increased and then wheedle & haggle with the salesman...
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Mapmaker
9. As if I'm likely to be arguing with a salesman. For a car I buy, all that matters is how long an MOT it has, and whether or not it has 4 reasonably decent tyres...

Sorry, but I'm not going to be voting on this one!
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - patently
Ah! - but you might have a choice between 8 otherwise identical cars on offer from the same seller, but one has air conditioning, one has a sun roof, .... etc

So, in this admittedly unlikely scenario, which car would you choose?
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - NowWheels
1. Air conditioning.
2. Sun roof.
3. Leather seats.
4. Electric windows.
5. Satellite navigation.
6. In-car DVD player.
7. Alloy wheels.

Hmm.

sat nav cheaper in a PDA, so scrub that.
Leather seats a nuisance (no traction for dog paws).
Canna watch a DVD player while driving, so scrub that.
Would pay extra to avoid alloy wheels.
Electric windows nice toy, but expensive when they go wrong.

So it's a tossup betwen aircon and sun roof.

I used to think sunroofs were unambiguously good, until I read a story where a miscreant put a garden hose into the open sunroof of a parked car ...
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - PoloGirl
I used to think sunroofs were unambiguously good, until I read
a story where a miscreant put a garden hose into the
open sunroof of a parked car ...

In my long gone and mispent youth (well, ok, six or seven years ago), I had my first job working in a sweetshop/newsagents with my best friend at weekends. It was a small parade of shops where people would come to the newsagents first, then pop to the garage, florist, off licence, bakery, post office etc, leaving their car parked right outside.

At the end of spring, you get a few glorious weeks where Cadburys Creme Eggs are still for sale, yet the weather has picked up so that people with sunroofs (sunrooves?) had them open on the sunny weekend mornings, and the interiors would get quite hot as the day passed when the car was parked back at home.

You can guess where this is going... maybe think twice before ranting at the girls in your local newsagent that your supplement/magazine/scratchcards weren't in your paper and the paperboy/shop worker/random squirrel must have stolen them. It's not their fault, there's a number to phone in the paper, noone has stolen your scratchcards and quite frankly you need to find something better to worry about.

Phew! I feel so much better now!

But back on topic...

Don't need satnav, I have a map and Pologirl-nav.
Don't want a sunroof as they mess up my hair.
Leather seats too cold in winter, too hot and sticky in summer.
Electric windows and alloys - most cars come with these so I'd be hard pushed to spec a car without it (cop out, I know!).
Can't see the point in a DVD...driving with me is entertainment enough!

Which leaves aircon... I neeeed aircon.

This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - No Do$h
Don't need satnav, I have a map and Pologirl-nav.

::splutter::

Waaaaaaaah ahahahahahaha!

Heeee hehehehehe

Oooh, stop it. My sides hurt and my laptop is now covered in beer. Remind me how you find Indian restaurants again?

Oooh dear oh dear, I've not laughed so much in ages!
Oooh, stop it. My sides hurt and my laptop is
now covered in beer. Remind me how you find Indian
restaurants again?
Oooh dear oh dear, I've not laughed so much in ages!

Did you or did you not get there in the end?? I wasn't given proper directions... blame the Passat driver for forgetting to tell me to head for the prison!

I'd far rather be known for getting lost than crashing, so mock all you like! :)

blame the Passat driver for forgetting to tell me to head for the prison!

With that particular passenger, where else would you have been heading?

;-)
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Marc
I've had to choose air con.

I don't think it should have been included on the options list poll however as these days it is an essential standard (unless it's a VW...) I believe most buyers would expect it unless the car is in the supermini class.

So, if I were to exclude air con on this basis my choice would be leather - essential if you have kids - wipe clean
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Altea Ego
Aircon - Aircon every time.

Re girls and maps? I once went out with a girl who DREW the maps for the AA.

She could'nt mapread her way from one end of the garden to other.

Its well known women cant mapread something to do with spatial things and right/left side of brain.
Its well known women cant mapread

no, it's just that men are incapable of listening to our directions when we mapread ....

;-)
Its well known women cant mapread something to do with spatial
things and right/left side of brain.

That's from the same programme that men use as an excuse for why they can't iron! :)

Women CAN read maps, we just have to turn them around so that they point the same way as the way we want to go... or is that just me?

This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Altea Ego
Not thats a perfectly simple way to map read as long as you want to get from mahgnimrib to nodnol
Not thats a perfectly simple way to map read as long as you
want to get from mahgnimrib to nodnol

You don't need a map for that.

Just take the 6M and then the 1M
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - CM

1. Air conditioning. VITAL
2. Sun roof. RUINS YOUR HAIR
3. Leather seats. HOT BUM WHEN SUNNY
4. Electric windows. I HAVE STRONG WRISTS
5. Satellite navigation. I CAN READ A MAP
6. In-car DVD player. I CAN SING PRETTY WELL
7. Alloy wheels. PRETTY BUT BY NO MEANS VITAL

So its the air con.
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Mark (RLBS)
1. Air conditioning. VITAL

For about 1 week every third summer.
2. Sun roof.
RUINS YOUR HAIR

And makes a horrible noise
3. Leather seats. HOT BUM WHEN SUNNY

Slightly more detail than I needed, but I know what you mean.
4. Electric windows. I HAVE STRONG WRISTS

So have I, but I can't reach three of the windows. And for the most of the year it negates the need for aircon. Although I have to admit I have aircon and use it all the time.
5. Satellite navigation. I CAN READ A MAP

There speaks a man who does not have Sat Nav. Love it, love it, love it. Not essential, I agree, but love it. Really love it. A lot.
6. In-car DVD player. I CAN SING PRETTY WELL

I truly, truly, cannot. Even I can't stand my singing. And anyway its boring.
7. Alloy wheels.
PRETTY BUT BY NO MEANS VITAL

Not even particularly pretty.

So it's the windows for me.

This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - DavidHM
My logic is the same as Mark's. It's actually quite tough to find a car without electric windows... let alone one with air con but no electric windows. I think Vauxhall did an Astra like that once. Nobody bought it, so I think secretly everyone agrees - electric windows are more essential than air con, but almost invisible now that every car has them, at least in front.

(And yes, I do have satnav, though it's on my phone and not plumbed into the car I'd miss it in a big way if it were gone). Of the others, I only have the windows and the sunroof - though I'd swap the sunroof for aircon, given the chance. My wheel trims look enough like alloys for me not to be bothered, an in car DVD player is for the benefit of my passengers who can bring their own if they're that bothered :-) and the only thing leather might do for me is make my car easier to sell if it were a Jag, which it isn't.
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - No Do$h
>> 5. Satellite navigation. I CAN READ A MAP
There speaks a man who does not have Sat Nav. Love
it, love it, love it. Not essential, I agree, but love
it. Really love it. A lot.

So much so that when he's in a car without it he parks up, rings me and tells me where he is and gets me to find him!
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Vansboy
Sunroof it is for me, please - although on resale, guess everyone would want air con!!

VB
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Hugo {P}
Sunroof for me please.

I've loved them since I was a kid!

I never forget getting our first car with a sunroof, a P reg Renault 5 TL with one of those fold back canvasse things. Oh joy of joys! Reg no was MGO 184 P

Then there was my dad's station runner - a Morris Minor Convertable Reg 175 EAA.

Yes, I can remember the regstration number of 98% of the cars that anyone remotrely associated with me has ever owned. My wife thinks I'm sad. I just think I'm amaizing and I want to stay that way.....

Mark, I see there's no mention of an electric aerial, you're not pining for those unforgettable memories of a car wash in Loughborough are you?? :)

Hugo
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - tyro
1. Air conditioning.
If you live on the continent, or the south of England - in fact, anywhere south of Hadrian's Wall, a great idea. As I live in the Scottish Highlands, not very helpful.

2. Sun roof.
Oddly enough, when I had a car with a sunroof, I didn't open it that often - but I liked having the glass up there. I guess it made the car less claustrophobic.

3. Leather seats.
Can't see the point.

4. Electric windows.
Certainly can't see the point - one more thing to go wrong, and when they do ...

5. Satellite navigation.
Maps are fine for me

6. In-car DVD player.
Well, the passenger might like it, but I've never heard anything so daft in my life, except for

7. Alloy wheels.
Could someone tell me what the point of these things is?

so - toss up between aircon (great boon once in a blue moon) and sunroof (quite pleasant really, but not that exciting).
This Weeks Poll. Optional Extras - Robin Reliant
I had one car with air-con and I hated it, only turned it on once a week to maintain the system. Air con and me don't get on, seems to give me cold-like symthoms.

Most of my last umpteen cars have had a sun roof and the only time I ever opened any of them was when I first got the car and was fiddling round.

Sat Nav I would love. I often have to visit people in remote areas with unpronouncable names. You try asking for directions to Cnwc-Y-Dinter or Bwlchgroes.

Alloys, magnet for thieves and easy to damage.

Electric windows, yes to the nearside front but I don't mind winding my own up.