Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Neil McK
I'm new to posting on forums so apologies if I miss something out.

I've just bought an '01 VW polo 1.9 tdi (90bhp).

It has a full vw history and was serviced just before I bought it, but the oil doesn't look too clean so I though I'd change the oil and filter but am unsure of which grade/spec of oil to use as it's my first diesel car.

I'll use a genuine filter after reading earlier posts on the topic.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Thanks.

Neil.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Number_Cruncher
As soon as you start a diesel engine after a service, the oil looks black - don't worry about it. This sudden blackening of the oil is a characteristic of diesel engines, it doesn't mean that you need to change the oil.

The thing to do, is to change the oil and filter at sensible intervals.

Of course, if you think that the car wasn't serviced properly, then that is a different matter.

number_cruncher
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - nortones2
You need an oil which meets VW 505.00 spec, as long as its not a PD engine, which I assume it is not. Try Millers, or other well known makes meeting 505.00. VW Quantum from my dealer was competitive on price at one time.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Stuartli
Providing it meets VW's specifications requirements, you should be able to buy both the oil and filter much cheaper at a local motor factors - most are happy to serve the general public.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - DL
I use Motaquip filters (air oil and fuel filters, not forgetting the pollen filter!) and Motaquip oils.

Never had a problem with the quality or fitment of them, plus the price is right!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Ivor E Tower
Err, for a 2001 engine, I would think that it is a PD engine which means 505.01 spec. Try Millers XFE PD oil, or the Castrol 505.01 if you can find anyone that sells it. If not, down to your nearest VW Group dealer or Ford dealer for Ford SD oil (used in the Galaxy which has a VW PD engine).
note that the oil does go quite black very quickly after a change. The PD mechanism puts a great deal of stress onto the oil film on the camshafts and it is essential to use the correct grade of oil.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Neil McK
Thanks for all the advice.

The car was serviced by a main vw dealer about 500 miles ago, so I've no reason to doubt it was changed. I'm just surprised to see the oil looking so black and think it's better to be 100% certain.

Thanks again.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Soupytwist
AFAIK the 1.9 PD engines come in 100bhp, 115bhp and 130bhp flavours.
The 90bhp VAG diesel is the older TDI item for which VW505.00 is the relevant oil spec.

You should be able to get oil meeting that spec from any halfway decent motor factors for a not unreasonable sum.

--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - borasport20
The 90bhp VAG diesel is the older TDI item for which
VW505.00 is the relevant oil spec.

not necessarily - could be 506.00 if it's on variable servicing

--
\"I ought not to let my mind wander - it\'s too small to be out on its own\"

www.mikes-wa
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - wonderwheels
It has already been mentioned.The oil turns very black almost instantly.I have a Passat 1.9TDi PD and have used Millers XFE-PD at the last 2 changes and it has been fine.It is around £21 for 5 litres and more importantly meets the VW spec.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - turbo turnip
I've recently bought a 1.9TDI PD and appreciate that, whilst there are according to Freds a lot of makes of oils suitable for the PD engine, it is nigh on impossible to find an outlet with any of these oils. I live in the Swansea area. Any ideas on where I might get the Millers (or any other suitable) oil!!
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - JohnM{P}
Find Millers stockists from
www.millersoils.co.uk (as listed in HJ's Useful Websites)
- shows 2 stockists in Swansea.

Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - nortones2
I've used sales@opieoils.co.uk to get suitable oils: they have several for the TDI PD.
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - steveb
Perhaps someone could explain WHY the oil in diesel engines goes black so quickly ?

Always wondered ....

Steve
Which oil spec to use in VW TDi engines? - Alec
It's covered here :

tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/

rgds
alec