Mondeo 24v 1998 idle problem - Imagos
My 2.5 V6 24v 1998 Mondeo manual's idle is starting to play up. When coming to a stop in traffic the rpm goes right down to 500 rpm and it feels like it's just about to stall, goes very lumpy then settles at about 600 rpm, which seems a bit low to me but I can't remember what it was beforehand. No other running problems when driving along, It's fine. Car is only used on short journeys which doesn't really help it.

Can anyone help?

thanks...
Mondeo 24v 1998 idle problem - Ade69
It will probably be the idle control valve which is used by the ECU to adjust air flow into the engine when idling. The valve itself can get very coked up around the cone shaped seal thereby not allowing it to close properly, thus the car almost stalls. If left for too long, it will begin stalling when stopping in traffic. It is an easy fix: remove the valve unit and give it a good clean out with DX carb cleaner. It will be as good as new! Mine was just the same.
Mondeo 24v 1998 idle problem - Imagos
thanks for that..i'll give that a go tommorrow but Where would i find it under the bonnet?
Mondeo 24v 1998 idle problem - tealc2961
Hi I have a 2002 mondeo st220 I have a similar problem but my car runs rough at idle and the rev counter needle bounces up and down quikly between 500rpm and 1000 rpm nearly stalling and then sometimes it will rev up on its own do you think this could be the idle control valve ? also do you know where it is on this car ?