Renault Scenic - dcrafts
I have a brand new Scenic 1600

I have noticed straightaway a flat spot whereby as soon as you engage first gear and ease off the clutch there is a momentary spot where nothing happens hence inducing, however carefully one tries, a significant and thoroughly irritating jerk in the movement

I took the car back to my dealer who acknowledged the problem, put it onto the computer and diagnosed nothing. I then insisted on driving another one which did exactly the same thing

I have been driving for 35 years, I have 2 other modern cars (a Honda Civic and a Mazda MX5 ) neither of which have any such problem

The garage will take no further interest saying that that's the way it is

Where can I go from here? Renault UK simply send me back to the dealer

There is clearly a design fault with this model

The garage of course as always say that no one has ever complained before

Has anyone else out there got a New Scenic 1600 manual with a similar problem?

David Crafts
Renault Scenic - Imagos
Have you the automatic parking brake?

The Scenics i've driven have a slight hesitation when pulling away, it's the parking brake being released. Feels like car being held back for a brief moment.

If you have a floor mounted brake it could be the ECU programmed wrong thinking it's got an automatic brake. That could be a load of cobblers 'cos i'm not an expert but with Renault anything is possible.

Also I believe the throttle on Scenics are fly by wire so may take a bit of getting use to.
Renault Scenic - dcrafts
Thank you for your interest

Yes, it has the automatic brake but, yes, I have already discovered the idiosyncracy of a bit more "welly" being required to overcome it. My problem is not, I think, related to the brake

However your third comment about the "fly by wire" throttle may be relevant as the dealer mentioned something about this. What does it mean? And could it be relevant to this flat spot which occurs only from stationary on a flat surface. The moment the car starts to move there is this momentary flatness which results in a feeling as if one's clutch control is clumsy.
It is this jerkiness that is so annoying

I really would value your further comments

David
Renault Scenic - Aprilia
I drove a new Scenic in France earlier this year (LHD and only a brief drive) however I didn't get on with the electronic throttle at all. To me it felt as if there was a delay between pedal movement and engine respose. This may be something that Renault have built into the system (i.e. 'damping' to avoid driveline shunt and throttle oscillation). Is this the kind of thing you are describing?
If so then there is probably not much you can do about it other than hope that Renault issue a software update for the ECU.
Renault Scenic - Altea Ego
Tested and done a few miles in the Diesel, this had none of those kind of problems.

Suggest you try a 2.0l. If that does not have the problem, but the 1.6 does then you can safely say its the ECU program.
Renault Scenic - dcrafts
Thank you again for your interest

Yes, it does sound like that sort of thing and I am coming to the conclusion that nothing can be done

Whether Renult themselves will respond to any correspondence from me is questionable

David
Renault Scenic - Imagos
Fly by wire in laymans terms means there is no cable between throttle and engine. It's all done electronically.

I always find throttle is over sensitive though, and Scenics tend to have over servoed brakes too which makes driving smoothly difficult. Very unfortunate.
Renault Scenic - rustbucket
>>I have a brand new Scenic 1600

>>I have noticed straightaway a flat spot whereby as soon as >>you engage first gear and ease off the clutch there is a >>momentary spot where nothing happens hence inducing, however >>carefully one tries, a significant and thoroughly irritating >>jerk in the movement

You are not alone with this problem, it is not due to the electronic parking brake being released. My scenic 21600 has a flat spot at or about 2000 rpm which is where the revs are when pulling away in first gear. like you the renault garage say there is nothing wrong, but during the 21000 miles in 6 months I have driven it from new I think it is getting worse. Also when cold it does not like ticking over.This all started after it refused to start one day in the summer and ran on what seemed like 2 cylinders for a few miles, again renault found no problem.

rustbucket (the original)
Renault Scenic - Casper
I had one of the first scenics, back in 1997, and it had this same problem. Sometimes it would have a session of stalling unless a boot full of throttle was applied, other times it wasn't so bad. Fuel brand seemed to have some effect. The dealer couldn't do anything as it's all programmed in the ecu. I suspected the problem was in the transition from idling to power modes.
Renault Scenic - Altea Ego
My 99 Scenic has a slight flatspot on pulling away, as you say higher revs was the order of the day. However, Shell optimax cured it right away, and it came back when used with ordinary unleaded. I was happier with more welly than 4p a litre dearer.