Optimax - David Moore
Just read the Optimax arguments; I didn't know it was 99ron. My Polo is old and prone to chugging at low revs; on Optimax (when I can get it) it will pull from 10mph in 3rd. I don't make a habit of that but it should prove a point!!
Optimax Problems - David Lacey
I have heard (upon good authority) that Optimax is paying havoc with some engine management systems......
Re: Optimax Problems - David Moore
A 1987 Polo doesn't have an engine management system!! More like a vaguely operational carburettor.
Optimax Problems - David Lacey
No, seriously, some manufacturers are asking dealers 'What fuel is the customer using?' when confronted with starting/running problems etc etc.

No-one will own up to it but that is what is happening at the sharp end.

And, no, before any bright spark says, it isn't MG Rover!

Rgds

David (Sticking to Diesel!)
Re: Optimax Problems - Roger Jones
Ummm, my MB 320 has been slow to start recently, since running on Optimax. I'll switch back to ordinary and see what happens.
Re: Optimax Problems - Bill Doodson
Hate to say this but "I told you so", look at my comments on the first optimax thread 28/08/01:-

"I recall shell bringing out the performance petrol to end all performance petrols in the mid 1980s. Vauhxalls in particular where very badly effected with burnt valves I think. I ran my Harris Magnum motorcyle on it (M.Cycle F1 tune engine) I needed the vavles grinding after only a couple of thousand miles and that was with stainless racing valves with a lower 9.5:1 comp for road use rather than the 11:1 for track. Lets hope this isnt the same, I personally will wait to see how it goes."

I'm still waiting and the reports arn't getting any better.

Bill
Re: Optimax Problems - Colin M
I tried a tank of Optimax as I fancied being a Ferrari fish (Clarkson ads for those not in UK). All I noticed was an increase to the consumption on my wallet. Surely normal petrol and an octane booster would be cheaper for those that need it.

Colin
Re: Optimax Problems - Nigel Hodgson
My Scoob likes it - runs much better. But the the ECU can cope with it, I believe. It 2001 WRX btw.Colin M wrote:
>
> I tried a tank of Optimax as I fancied being a Ferrari fish
> (Clarkson ads for those not in UK). All I noticed was an
> increase to the consumption on my wallet. Surely normal
> petrol and an octane booster would be cheaper for those that
> need it.
>
> Colin