VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - chriss
{Moved from Discussion. DD}

I have been having trouble with my passat 1.8 20V turbo 1997 R plate, about a week ago I was doing the home run from work stopped once, and when i started again the engine was juddering, rather like a mis-fire. I got home and took each plug off each coil to see which one it was. I found that it was piston 2 which was not firing, as a result i changed the spark plug, but it was still the same. I then changed around the two of the coils still the same. I have since call out a mobile tuning / diagnostics company, but he could not find the problem on his scanner. I have since checked the wiring from the coil plug back to the air flow module and from the module back to the ECU, the result being that i have good continuity through the wiring. Does this problem sound like ECU or air flow module. Can any body help?
VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest the coil driver amplifier is faulty.It is fixed to the top of air cleaner housing.(under plastic cover).Also a good idea to replace the original faulty coil.(this amp is approx £180)
VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - DL
Coilpack faliure on the VAG 4 cyl engines is commonplace, much to the annoyance of VAG engined car owners!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Agree with elekie, you have done the detective work by substituting a known good coil and the fault stays on the same pot. I would just check the compression on this cylinder to be certain before shelling out on a new amp. Surprised your diagnostic man couldnt find the problem, possibly too much reliance on fault codes being the be-all and end-all of diagnostics much like the main agents instead of pinpoint testing the inputs and outputs directly on an oscilloscope. I have had an instance of this problem on a 1.8 20v golf and it had lost a switching output from the amp.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Hi Elekie. can these amplifiers be bought second hand / refurbed £180 is a lot to pay.Also are they hard to find on the air box,as i hav'nt got a clue what they look like. i will also have a look around a couple breakers yards, thanks for your advice.
VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - elekie&a/c doctor
It is a small device ,approx 7cm/5cm ,usually made by Bosch.Part no.0227 100 211,fixed to air intake housing by 2 screws.There are 2 connectors attached to it;one is a 4 pin .the other is a 5 pin.
Thanks to you all for your help, i will do some investigation into price etc. i will let you know the out come. thank again.
Hi mate, hows it going, after your advice i have done some investigation, and i had quotes for around £120 from VW, second hand around £35, Today i had a good find though, i think, i came across a Audi A4 1.8T, the parts look very similar, with the 5pin and 4pin plugs, but this one has been made by Hitachi. The part numbers on the Amp look very similar,the amp was not displaying the 0227100211 part No. but there was another No 2D0 905 351, and on my part it shows a 4 instead of the 2. Do you think this is the same part but just another manufacturer, should i risk putting it on the car or not.
VW Passat 1.8 20v Mis-Fire - DL
Hmmmm tough call....

If we say "fit it" and it melts your ECU.......can you see my predicament?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thought i would give it a try, and it worked, done 700 miles down to cornwall and back, thacks for all your help.
i hope i will be able to help one of you guys some time
cheers
chris (telford)