Cambelt Alert! Corsa 16v 14XE Engine - DL
The pictures I have just uploaded to the HJ Photosite speak for themselves. How this belt kept going was amazing - it was just a stroke of luck the head gasket failed - much cheaper than a snapped belt.

If this is a lesson to not trust what a garage says has been done prior to sale - then this is it. The customer was told 18mths ago, when she bought the car, that the cambelt had been replaced at 40K.

Sadly, it hadn't been.

Pics here....
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/interestingshots.msnw?Pa...2
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Cambelt Alert! Corsa 16v 14XE Engine - holly1
Problem is as a buyer with little or no knowledge of mechanics you do tend to believe what the garage says, especially if it is a big main dealer. Had exactly the same problem with my Corsa SXi bought in September - dealer could not seem to understand the importance of the cambelt being replaced every 40k.

They have eventually agreed to do the necessary work (not just the cambelt) but it should not be like this.

Anyway it is becoming apparent that the engine is in fact chain driven - but the garage still seem to be unaware of this and think its going in for the cambelt to be replaced. I only discovered this by posting here and actually phoning Vauxhall.

Shame you just don't know who to trust these days....

Cambelt Alert! Corsa 16v 14XE Engine - greatspirit
Routine inspection of the belt (which presumably just means removing the cover) can easily be done when e.g. doing an oil and plug change and would spot this.
I think HJ advises changing all fluids as well as the cambelt when buying a second hand car