Golf mk3 TDi - Sprice
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a mk3 Golf TDi, and I was just wondering if they are available in 110 bhp guise, as I think that would be ideal. I'd like as new as possible (say an 'R' reg)Also, are there any weak areas to look out for? Cheers
Golf mk3 TDi - Big Cat
According to my book, the MK3 TDis were all 90bhp. You've got to get a MK4 to get the higher powered versions.
As for weak areas, I think the Car-by-Car Breakdown covers most of it but inevitably you are looking at a car that is 7 years old, likely to have done at least 100K - so you must expect the usual wear and tear.
Golf mk3 TDi - Sprice
Ok, thanks for the feedback, could always get a 90 and chip it!
Golf mk3 TDi - MichaelR
Or you could buy something else and avoid paying big money for a car designed in the late 80's.
Golf mk3 TDi - Sofa Spud
We don't have a Mk3 TDi, but we do have all the relevant bits shared between two cars, A Golf Mk 3 1.4 CL and a Passat 1.9 TDI 90bhp estate, both '94 models!

Re: the Golf MK 3 as a car. It's solid and well put together, drives and handles OK but not as well as some of its competitors. The 1.4 petrol engine has been its only weak point due to a freak head gasket failure.

And now to the 90 bhp 1.9 TDI engine in the Passat. It's reliable and quite punchy. Has achieved 53 mpg. Car has now done 146,000 miles. If it works this well in the Passat it must be great in the Golf. Passat also V. Good build quality.

A VW problem, common to both our cars, seems to be the electrical connector plugs for the engine management systems, and also window/sunroof/central locking can play up.

If you want a much cheaper alternative to the Golf Mk 3 TDI, and are prepared to sacrifice a little style, the Vento (Golf saloon with a big boot and slightly different grille) fetches lower prices but they are rarer.

Cheers and good hunting, Sofa Spud
Golf mk3 TDi - Sprice
Thanks a lot for your advice, you're right about the Vento, very rare, especially the diesel version! Quite a few golfs on ebay however, cheers.