Buying Hawkeye's new car - Clanger
Yesterday evening I took delivery of my first ever new car, a Citroen C8 with the 130bhp HDi engine and 6-speed box. It's lovely but I won't ramble on about the car; its features are well enough documented elsewhere. And, having test driven a C8 for a couple of hours, I have put my reservations about centrally placed instruments firmly to bed. What may interest you is a sketch of the buying process.

My starting point was wanting an MPV with more than 5 seats, heavy enought to tow our caravan and having an 8-year old Citroen Synergie and a 3-year old Mercedes c180 to part-ex and about £4K in cash. Reactions from dealers of other makes ranged from incredulity that I should be so difficult to deal with as to have 2 vehicles to part-ex, to complete indifference. So Fiat, Kia, Hyundai and Fiat ruled themselves out on the phone. This left Ford and Peugeot. The C8 seemed to offer more kit for your pound than Peugeot so they dropped down the list. I even got as far as a test drive in a new Galaxy but I didn't feel at home in it; the driving position didn't suit me, I would have preferred rear sliding doors and the part-ex offer on the Synergie was so poor it was almost an insult. I was expecting it; the same garage hadn't wanted my Citroen XM 7 years ago and a salesman had tried to studiously ignore me and Mrs H when we were looking for a car for her in 2002.

And so, due diligence thankfully done, I was able to give my dosh and cars to the local Citroen dealer and come away with my 18th Citroen (not all from them) and what a pleasant, painless experience it has all been, so far. In fact I got as far as ordering the car, specifying the extras and having a tow-bar fitted without even placing a deposit.

In the middle of this, my father-in-law happened to mention that he wanted to change his Xantia for a C3 sensodrive and the local dealer had the brass neck to take £100 off his credit card for the privilege of having a test drive. Is this normal nowadays? I suggested he claim his money back forthwith and deal with a more old-fashioned establishment. The upshot was that he collected his new car from our local dealer yesterday too. New tin and big grins all round.

Sorry for the long post; any comments anyone?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Buying Hawkeye's new car - PoloGirl
Sorry for the long post; any comments anyone?

Only that I always thought you were about the same age as Adski, but as you're on your 18th Citroen I clearly got that one wrong!

Sometimes they run your card through their machine to check you are who you say you are before they let you take a car away for a test drive (they ususally charge £2.50 and then refund it straight away)... perhaps the salesman's finger slipped a few times??

Buying Hawkeye's new car - PhilW
Blimey Hawkeye, surely after 18 Citroens you should have realised that French cars are totally unreliable and you shouldn't touch them with a bargepole. As for landing your poor old Dad with one..have you no conscience??!!!
PhilW Berlingo
SWMBO Xantia HDi
previous cars, Xantia TD, BX TGD, BX 19RD, R18, R5, R4 (x2)
Master W C2, previous Clio, R5
Miss W Clio DCi, previous ClioD, R5.
PS I once called out the RAC!!
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Vansboy
Prior to Mrs V getting her Mx5, not a deposit for a test drive, but photo copies of drivers licience, were taken.No problem there - obviously a checking procedure & we get the odd mailshot, now, from them.

BUT... wanting a £500 excess insurance form signing, wasn't so attractive!

We bought from another Mazda dealer, in the end.

VB
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Number_Cruncher
Hi Phil,

I am one of those people who would touch a French car with a bargepole. Oddly perhaps, I would never suggest to anyone else that they should, or shouldn't buy a particular type of car.

What predisposition is it that causes Hawkeye and yourself to favour French motor cars, and me to shun them completely? (I'm not suggesting that either of us is 'right' or 'wrong').

To kick off, I don't like the look and feel of French cars (excepting the DS, of course!). I particularly do not enjoy working on them - things that should be simple usually aren't, although this is possibly a reflection of a lack of knowledge and skill on my part.

number_cruncher
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Aprilia
I particularly do
not enjoy working on them - things that should be simple
usually aren't, although this is possibly a reflection of a lack
of knowledge and skill on my part.
number_cruncher

Hear, hear.
When I lift the bonnet on a Japanese car all the wires, cables, hoses etc. are neatly routed around the engine and (often) marked. Usually nice identification on all the relays/fuse covers etc.

Open the lid on a French car and its 'where's the engine' - great tangle of wires and hoses covering everything.....
Oh, for the ability to re-edit a post...I meant to say,

I am one of those people who would *not* touch a French car with a bargepole. etc...

number_cruncher
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Robin Reliant
I think a lot of the anti French car felling is a reflection of peoples attitude to the French themselves. For over ten years myself and SWMBO ran Puegeots and Citroens as driving tuition cars, an environment where the life of a car is tough. We had two 309's, four 205's, a 106 and three Saxo's between us and had no real problems with any of them. All were nice to drive and reliable, and the last Saxo we had is still with us today and giving sterling service.

If BL had come anywhere near the standards set by the French they would still be around today, and I bet Rover often look across the pond with an envious gleam.
Buying Hawkeye\'s new car - PhilW
n-c,
Yes I rather gathered that!
Like you I wouldn\'t presume to advise people to buy a particular brand of car, but when changing cars I never even consider a Japanese one my uncle was in Burma don\'t forget!!!!
Suppose I have always liked French (and Italian also- well Alfa, but not Fiat!!) since I first saw a DS, and I also remember a bloke who had a Traction avant. I always liked the way DSs \"went to sleep\" and when I saw a BX in Strasbourg in 1983 I thought \"at last, a hydaulic(?) Citroen I can afford if I wait 3 years and buy second hand!\" Had several, always been reliable, never had any electrical or suspension problems (well, apart from many a time lying underneath a BX with lhm spraying in my hair!). Great diesel engines (always liked the reassuring clatter of a diesel!), fantastic suspension and ride and great for towing.
As for the Renault 4s, well, perfect practical car for wife and I when younger to throw camping gear in the back and zoom(!) off to Greece in the summer - Berlingo is a modern equivalent. Kids bought 5s and Clios, and C2 because they like the look of them - again , no problems so far with their cars.
Am I also of the age when I remember the early Japanese imports? The modern equivalent I suppose are the (early) Kias and Protons and Peroduas. BMW - don\'t they make bubble cars? MB - too expensive - but I like them. VW - not keen on 6 volt Beetles. Saab? What with that funny 2 stroke engine and free wheel - hang on Carlson has just won the RAC rally in one - not bad. British cars - Dad had a Triumph 1300, gearbox went, Morris 1100, differential went so I had to hitch hike back from Scotland. Austin Cambridge - blimey, why is the rear overtaking the front? Mirafiori - great engine but why is his new car rusting away after 2 years? Ford? blimey that sit up and beg Popular was uncomfortable and those windscreen wipers that stop when you accellerate?
Don\'t know why I like Citroens, I just do. Don\'t know why I don\'t like Japanese - they are fantastically reliable - but then I\'ve only once broken down in a French car since 1974 (until tomorrow that is!) so to me they are fantastically reliable.
And anyway, what does a Corolla/Avensis/Accord/Civic look like? Bet you can tell me what a Renault 4, 16, BX, Xantia, Berlingo, XM,SM, etc look like!
Totally illogical I know!!
HJ - Cooking isn't my strong suit but this kind of icing I can do. With his permission I can say that I dealt with Paul Lyons at Peter Marwood Ltd, Richmond, N Yorks, 01748 812220.

PG - I have often been accused by wife and family of having mental age of 12 or under but am 52.

PhilW - Agree totally with everything you say. I've only had a handful of dead stop incidents with French cars in 34 years of motoring. Clutch cable snapped on the Renault 4, driveshaft CV joint collapsed on one of the 2 DS's, a flywheel sensor failure on one of the 4 CX's and one of the hydraulic suspension pipes on another CX gave out on Mrs H. Either French cars suit one or they don't. If the local garage was a Ford dealer, I might change badges but he isn't and I haven't. It's a unique feeling batting around in an unusual car and I'm thinking particularly of the Renault 16TX which had the ability to cover ground quickly and economically, the BX 16valve which was completely anonymous but faster than any contemporary BMW apart from the M3 and M5. French cars rule!

TS - our AX gave us sterling service and was paricularly cheap to run.
Hawkeye
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Aprilia
I like France and I like the French - great country and great people (I would probably prefer to live there than the UK).

I have great deal of respect for French engineering - they still have a sizable engineering sector, unlike the UK.

The snag with their cars is that things seem to go wrong at the manufacturing stage and they do seem to be unreliable.
As some on here will know, I used to be in the car trade with my father (a few years ago now, I admit). We used to sell some s/hand cars off the forecourt and (mainly) do servicing and mechanical repairs. We eventually came to a decision not to buy/sell French cars, especially Renaults. This was simply a business decision. We liked to be fair with customers and nearly every French car we sold ended up costing us money because the customer would come back within a few months with a problem and we would try to fix it. Eventually we had enough, and basically couldn't afford to sell the cars and were taking too much grief from customers shouting at us.

If we had a Jap car in (Nissan Sunny or Toyota Corolla were favourite) it would come in, we would service and valet it. It would be sold and we would hear no more until the satisfied customer came back for a routine service. Bliss!
Buying Hawkeye's new car - frostbite
I have never owned a French car but I used to work on Renaults.

That's probably why I have never owned a French car.
Like Aprilia, I am in no way a Francophobe.

I have a great admiration for some aspects of French car engineering. The 2CV for example is an excellent study in minimalist design. My engineering design tutor often told us 'an engineer is someone who makes for a shilling what any fool can make for a pound'.

I have also a sneaking respect for the loyalty shown by the French for their national manufacturers. Is the difference in loyalty we have shown to British manufacturers a result of a difference in attitude, or can it all be explained by the quality of the products?

Technically here are some of the things that make me afraid, very afraid!

a) CV joints that don't split - makes boot replacement difficult
b) Engines with no clear timing markings
c) A wiring loom made up of grey wires with little numbers on
d) Very strong road springs which need a special compressor
e) Engines laid back, so that all the bits you need to get at are inaccessible
f) Component layouts which make good engineering sense, but are a pain to access and maintain
g) Flywheels which can bolt up in a 3 ways, but only one where the crank pick up is correctly aligned. Needless to say, I had to try all the wrong alignments before I got it to run - 3 days later - doh!

number_cruncher

number_cruncher
"Very strong road springs which need a special compressor"
n-c
Springs? what springs? Thought you only got those on carts!!
Don't think the 2CV (or Renault 4?) had those!! Maybe primitive Japanese cars do but I wouldn't know about that!!
PhilW
DS,SM, CX, BX, C5 and xantia fan.
Yes, I was thinking more of Renaults, rather than Citroens when I mentioned springs. Some of them have very meaty coil springs.

Although it is a different environment, I like the rail vehicle suspension arrangement. You have a solid wheel, connected by a stiff primary suspension. The passenger saloon is then isolated by a compliant (usually air) secondary suspension.

Whereas in a car, the primary suspension, (the tyre) has to provide grip as well as provide isolation, and the secondary suspension has to provide a difficult compromise between ride and handling.

Having said that, I wouldn't trust any car manufacturers to design anything that would survive the loads and accelerations seen by a rail vehicle axlebox!

number_cruncher
Soory n-c - you have lost me - the wine and latterly a very nice malt whisky (Macallan) means that I can't recall whether "solid wheel, connected by a stiff primary suspension. The passenger saloon is then isolated by a compliant (usually air) secondary suspension" was fitted to the Renault 4!! I always thought it was torsion bars!

Hi Phil,

I must also confess to being the worse for a number of bottles of real ale!

Wasn't the Renault 4 one of the only cars to have a different wheelbase on the passenger side to the driver's side?

number_cruncher
I think you are right - because of long transverse torsion bars that lay parallel to each other across car therefore one was in front of the other? I think the same may have been true of the R5 - perhaps those in the mid '70s when we had one.
Must finish this last drop and go to bed! Can recommend Macallan wholeheartedly - though I fear that it has taken some of my brain away (pleasantly though!!)
Cheers
PhilW

Wasn't the Renault 4 one of the only cars to have
a different wheelbase on the passenger side to the driver's side?
number_cruncher

The Renault 16 certainly was; right-hand wheelbase 2.656 metres, left-hand wheelbase 2.717 metres.

Hawkeye
Buying Hawkeye's new car - Happy Blue!
Renault 14 certainly did and the Renault 21 had two different wheelbases depending on whether the car had the 1.7 (transverse) or 2.1 (longitudinal) engine.

Hawkeye, I am surprised the local Hyundai dealer wasn't interested. My new Trajet would have p/xed against my old Volvo for a good price, but I got a better price privately. Just as easy to deal with as your Yorkshire man - you should have come to Red Rose country!

Hope you enjoy your C8 and that you have many years and miles of trouble free and economical motoring.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?