mondeo holding back - simon101
I have a mondeo on a P-reg 1996 24v and I have a problem with it. What is happening is that when driving along and only touching the throttle it feels like it is holding back then when I start to give it more throttle it almost starts to miss fire then all of a sudden it will clear it self and go, I have changed the plugs and leads but has done nothing I was told it could be the air flow meter but I tried that and still the same, I also tried injector cleaner as I thought it might help but it didnt although it has never got any worse I really need it sorted out as it just is not a smooth drive so any help would be great.
mondeo holding back - frostbite
Just guessing, from my experience with my Scorpio, could it be the air temp. sensor?

Not necessarily faulty sensor, but corrosion on the connector terminals.

In the immortal words of Arkwright, jer jer just jiggle it a bit.
mondeo holding back - kithmo
Sounds like one of several possibilities, including; a faulty IMRC causing the secondary air inlet butterflies to stick open weakening the mixture at part throttle, you may have water in the fuel or the fuel filter may be blocked/restricted. See the Mondeo Enthusiasts Group forum at www.fordmondeo.org for further possibilities.
mondeo holding back - simon101
Hello Kith thankyou for your reply but could you please tell me what the IMRC is as i do not have clue? Trying to sort this problem out is turning into a right head ache, i have been on the phone to Ford but they will not really tell me anything apart from they want me to take into them for the bargin price of £76.75 an hour so i am trying sort the problem out myself but not having any diagnostic equipment it is hard. Thanks for your help.
IMRC = Inlet Manifold Runner Control. It's a box of tricks, situated underneath the black cover on the front of the engine, that controls the opening of the secondary inlet tracts, by opening a set of butterfly valves (like throttles) in effect doubling (when fully open) the size of the inlet. I think on a P reg mondeo it may be vacuum operated, if so check the vacuum hoses for leaks etc. Another possibility is that the butterfly valves themselves are stuck or sticking because they are gunged up. cleaning them requires the removal of the upper inlet manifold (UIM) and peferably, to prevent gunge going down into the engine, the lower inlet manifold (LIM). Go to the Mondeo Enthusiasts web site (as above) and search for "secondaries" or "IMRC" and you'll find plenty of posts about it. There is also a "how-to" guide on cleaning the secondaries.
mondeo holding back - DL
Colipack problems (leading to misfires) are common on 24v Mondeos...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Colipack problems (leading to misfires) are common on 24v Mondeos...

A possibility, but not "common" no one I've spoken to has ever heard of it, I think you're thinking of the Audi TTs.