Fiat Punto S60 - Speedometer lockups - Andy Raines
Hi,

My Punto has an intermittent problem where the speedo either flys around the clock and jams at the far end (160mph) and makes a nasty noise, or where it sticks at around 23mph. It makes no difference if I am reversing, stopped or travelling forward.

The only way to fix it appears to be to turn the engine on and off until it works again.

Any suggestions are welcome :)
Fiat Punto S60 - Speedometer lockups - Andy Raines
I'm thinking it is probably a faulty electrical connection somewhere, if anyone can suggest where the sensors for the speedo are connected, that would be a huge help :)
Fiat Punto S60 - Speedometer lockups - Loadsy
I had exactly the same problem with a '95 55sx (right down to the 23mph bit!). Replacing the 'sender' cable from the gearbox won't work. I took out the dials (two allen screws) and jer, jer giggled the wires about and sprayed in wd-40. This didn't work either!

Solution - ring round local scrap yards. I got one out of a 'T' reg. for £15 and it worked a treat. Mileage on original was only 31k, so the replacement with 42k wasn't a problem. It is also dead easy - four wire-clips and you're done.

Good luck!