Chaos in Hull - daveyjp
Leading on from the 4 police car thread:

Did anyone get caught up in the chaos in Hull yesterday? A minor accident at 5am involving a lorry and a car blocked the main A63 serving Hull centre just in time for the 8am rush hour - total gridlock across the whole city. The road took 5.5 hours to reopen.

Needless to say an investigation has been launched and they will be assessing how the Council's current traffic management policies - including blocking off routes - contributed to the situation.
Chaos in Hull - smokie
I'm glad to see that they are reviewing how they manage these events that's a positive isn't it?
Chaos in Hull - Stuartli
What happened during the three hours leading up to the rush hour?
Chaos in Hull - Altea Ego
They have cars in Hull now?
Chaos in Hull - helicopter
John Prescott is the deputy prime minister from Hell.... - I mean Hull - and we all know how many Jaguars he has don't we.
Chaos in Hull - daveyjp
I think they will look down at the wrong end of the telescope and look at the effect rather than the cause. I can see the investigation looking at why the roads blocked up so quickly, why there were no alternative routes etc rather than why it took 5 hours to clear the scene!
Chaos in Hull - martint123
Step 1 - build nice new road, taking traffic away from residential areas.
Step 2 - take two previous routes from the outside world into Hull and reduce from two lanes each way onto single lane each way with pedestrian islands and parking.
Step 3 - give planning permission for large supermarkets on these roads.
Step 4 - move out of Hull and watch the chaos when something happens to step 1.

What was noticable was the knock-on effects of that single accident - traffic jams miles and miles away.

Chaos in Hull - Stuartli
Judging by the allegations being made about a certain member of Hull's ruling classes on national news programmes today, traffic jams are not the only worries facing the area at the moment.
Chaos in Hull - Baskerville
There has been trouble brewing in that quarter for decades. Hull is a very closed, isolated place that has been opened up to proper scrutiny only in the past few years, largely because of the quasi-privatisation of the telephone company, but also because of local government reform. It won't be pretty.

As for the roads. Does anyone actually drive into Hull? If my school chums are anything to go by most people head westward as soon as they can.
Chaos in Hull - midlifecrisis
It was all staged by the Police just to annoy motorist!!!
Chaos in Manchester - Again - pdc {P}
Well, GMP managed it again yesterday. Vehicle fire at 1300 hours on the M60, between the point where the M602, M62 and M61 all join the M60.

Come rush hour, 5 hours later, the 4 lane motorway was still down to 1 lane, causing chaos on all the motorways I just mentioned, and the local A/B roads. This time I was unfortunate to be caught in it, and a usual 20 minute journey took 2 hours.

Personally I think that the rules that the police have to work to are a conspiracy from local and central govt to force us all onto the trains!!

Chaos in Manchester - Again - midlifecrisis
Of course, nothing to do with the road having to be resurfaced.
Chaos in Manchester - Again - pdc {P}
Well mlc, on passing by there appeared to be no damage to the road at all, and the vehicle was on a grass verge, not even on the carriage way. the hard shoulder and lane 1 had sand on them, but lanes 2 and 3 didn't, yet were still closed off.

Oh, and there wasn't a soul around doing any work at all, copper or otherwise, as I passed by at 1815.

So no, nothing at all to do with having to resurface the road.

I mean, Friday night rush hour is murder on that stretch as it is, but to reduce 4 lanes to 1 is madness.
Chaos in Manchester - Again - midlifecrisis
I thought of you yesterday morning when I attended a fatal accident. The fatality was lying at my feet when a man arrived and demanded we keep the road open because it would affect entry into his exhibition. Perhaps we should have swept him into the ditch!