Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - --Dan--
Hi,
I have a 1990 Merc 190E Cosworth with some crash damage. I love it to bits, but am undecided as to whether I should get the damage repaired, or just sell it on to an enthusiast, or for spares etc....
It definately needs new OSF door, and NSR door, the other two have minor dents. It also needs OS 'A' post outer skin - (the 'A' post itself is fine - the windscreen is bonded to it and didn't smash)
My dilemma in fixing/selling stems from it's apparent value/or lack of...
Just how many 2.5L 16V cosworth 190's are left out there? How collectible are they (going to be?) should I fix it and keep it as a collectible? I'm worried that the current parkers 'A1 condition' value is about the same as the cost of repairs....
Does anyone know much about these cars and whether it's worth investing in?

Cheers
Dan.

(For what it's worth it has done 170k miles (nothing on these engines) and has Mercedes FSH - the inside is pretty much mint - (slight wear on the drivers seat leather) and the outside *was* mint before the damage occurred....
oh, and it's had brand new rear shocks fitted (5,000 miles ago)

Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - BazzaBear {P}
If YOU love it, who cares what it's worth to other people?
Get it fixed, and enjoy it some more.
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Alfafan {P}
A quick search on Autotrader shows 11 cars for sale nationally. Prices range from £1200 to £7000. Some of them specify Cosworth bodykit, but don't make it clear re the engine.

Comes down really to how much you want the car or whether you're just doing it up to sell it.
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Aprilia
Unless you are going to do the repairs yourself then it is unlikely to be economic from a purely monetary consideration. A lot of these cars have ended up tearing around council estates with oversize rear spoilers bolted on - so they aren't really that collectable.

I would be interested in the car for the mechanical parts (engine, transmission & axle) so post your e-mail if you want me to get in touch about it. The heads have a habit of failing (cracking) so a known good engine is of particular value.
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - --Dan--
Aprilia, possibly the oldest reply to a post ever? I still have this Merc - it's been garaged the past couple of years. I now need to get rid of it sadly due to lack of space. Would you still be interested in it for the engine, etc? would be interested to hear from you, Cheers Dan
email honestjohnNOSPAM@NOSPAMdanielcoffey.NOSPAMco.uk
I dunno how these spam bots get the email addresses, but i think the above should cover it! :)
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - teabelly
If you love it then keep it. It could become a future classic and according to the article below it is quite a good rival for the BMW M3.

tinyurl.com/3sdu2

teabelly
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Chas{P}
According to my stats there are 7990 Merc 190's of all versions left of 1990 vintage. That figure takes into account scrappage. The Cosworth content would be a very low percentage of that IMO.

HTH

Charles
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Alfafan {P}
Charles, I'm interested in where your stats come from. I'm toying with the idea of getting an old Renault 16 and I'm wondering how many are left. Very few I suspect, as the floor of my old one disappeared afer about 10 years.
My figures (DVLA origin) come from a catalogue planning tool I use at work.

Unfortunately R16 doesn't feature in the package which may give you an idea howmany are left.
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Aprilia
According to my stats there are 7990 Merc 190's of all
versions left of 1990 vintage. That figure takes into account scrappage.
The Cosworth content would be a very low percentage of that
IMO.
HTH
Charles

Are you sure of that figure? There are about four local to me - which makes your figure seem much too low. Are they perhaps listed by variant; i.e. 190, 190E, 190E 2.3, 190E 1.8 etc etc?
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - henry k
THE most famous 190?
tinyurl.com/5ku8d

100 plus good .jpgs of Goodwood if you are interested
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - Happy Blue!
That is lovely. Reminds you of what a real Mercedes should look like.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Aprilia

I was quoting the parc of what's left of all 1990 registered M-B 190. The total parc for all years is 53,096.

Charles
Merc 190 Cosworth 2.5 16V - how rare? - No Do$h
There'll soon be 53095 if the F plate 2.5 16v I saw on the MF this morning keeps getting driven like that. I thought it was on tow it was that close to the car in front.

I had ample opportunity to view it as the outside lane jostled along nose-to-tail for a good 5 miles whilst I cruised along the inside lane with the odd sojourn into lane 2. That Merc must have overtaken me a dozen times.