what Diesel car to buy ? - goose
Please can you offer advice on what diesel car to buy. I will average 500 miles a week mostley motorway, but need a car that will hack 80MPH with ease but still give good MPG. Budget is up to £4000, not worried about looks but need very good reliability. Please help. many thanks.........
what Diesel car to buy ? - mare
Skoda Octavia 110bhp TDI. you should get 50mpg on motorway no problem.
what Diesel car to buy ? - mark999
If you can live with a smaller car how about a Fabia VRS or a Yaris diesel. Both can be chipped to give extra oomph
what Diesel car to buy ? - DavidHM
If you can find a Fabia VRS for £4k, I'll take three.

As far as the Octavia is concerned - you may get a 110 bhp SLX, as long as it's an S-reg with 120k, probably - though this is almost suspiciously good value: www.chrispagecars.co.uk

A 99 406 HDi will easily be within budget and is an excellent cruiser. A Xantia, for a little over half your budget, will do the job very well too for even less.

An early Passat may be tired but if it's a good one, it'd be a superb buy. The same goes for a new shape Seat Toledo, if it can be found for £4k... there are a couple out there, newer than the six or seven year old Passat TDi your budget would get you, but just as durable, economical and comfortable. As it's not a hatchback like the very similar Octavia, it's sometimes even cheaper.

As far as smaller cars go, a 306 HDi will be in budget, a Focus with the tddi engine probably not and though I don't mind it, others find it very unrefined. A Megane dci might be an interesting choice although reliability may not be the best; I'm not a fan of the Laguna at this age.
what Diesel car to buy ? - PhilW
Xantia HDi (110)
what Diesel car to buy ? - Orson {P}
Rover 420 sdi - not the world's coolest car, but does me very nicely - 1200 miles in the last 4 days no problem for me in mine. Rated very reasonably by HJ in the car by car breakdown. You can find some from £2k upwards on something like an R or S plate.

O