Beetle Customised cars - BobbyG
Every time a new shape Beetle passes me, I can't help but think how "uniform" they all look.

In the past, Beetles were THE car for customising in every shape or form. Then it became THE fashion to have an original, untouched Beetle, "straight out the packet" as it were.

Now, other than maybe blackened windows, I see very few new shape Beetles that have anything other than standard spec.

Is it a case that it will take a few years before these start to get modified? Is it maybe the 2nd or 3rd owner before this kicks in? Will they go full circle like the original Beetles?

Are cars like Beetles "personalised in a professional, mature sort of way" as opposed to the Saxo brigade who have it "customised" by the time they get it home from the garage? And, ironically, end up with a Saxo that is the same as every other one on the road!

Or are there just very few modified Beetles in Central Scotland?
Beetle Customised cars - THe Growler
I think the "new" Beetle is just a parody of the real one. You can't parody an icon. It's like listening to a Beatles rip-off band. it's just uninspiring and a bit pathetic.
Beetle Customised cars - No Do$h
There's also the ease with which the original Beetle could be modified. Lift the bodyshell off, shorten or lengthen the chassis, widen or narrow it, raise it by adjusting the splines on the rear torsion bar, all with basic tools.

With the new one you're limited to some bolt-on fibreglass.

Can't really see a Baja version of the Golf-Beetle, can you?
Beetle Customised cars - BobbyG
But presumably original Beetles never got customised until they had became "classic" cars and customising became more widespread?
Will the new shape Beetles start to be customised maybe in 10 years or so, or whenever facelifted models come out?
Beetle Customised cars - Sofa Spud
I wonder if the new beetle bodyshell can be made to fit a Land Rover Discovery chassis.

cheers, SS
Beetle Customised cars - THe Growler
As I have often said, Filipino mechanics can turn their hands to anything and customized Beetles are still quite common. As ND says, ripping of the back end bodywork and raising the suspension is a first step. I have even seen one with a Chevy V-8 in it, although I couldn't vouch for the handling. Trikes and motorbikes with Beetle engines in them pop up now and again.

East to work on is right. My '62 used to regularly drop a valve when being driven flat out. I could get the engine out in about 30 minutes, stripped down, new parts in it and back together in a couple of hours. Hardest part was all that tinwork for the heater.
Beetle Customised cars - The Count
There's a customised Beetle roaming the streets of Southport. It's red, and has ridiculously large wheels, as well as no engine cover. Oh, and a whacking great big exhaust sticking up in the air.

The chap who drives it always seems to have a big grin on his face!

--

One a-ha-ha, two a-ha-ha, I love to count a-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Beetle Customised cars - Wee Willie Winkie
That'll be me then!

1974 Baja conversion of a 1302. The wheels are from a Shogun, so yes, they do seem a little large on a Beetle! I'm sure that Stuartli may have seem us roaming about as well.

The only thing that'll wipe the grin off my face is if the local constabulary take an interest....

DB
Beetle Customised cars - The Count
Blimey, there's a coincidence!

Didn't think I'd run into the proud owner on here. Keep up the good work sir! Nice to meet someone who's not afraid to stand out from the crowd.

--

One a-ha-ha, two a-ha-ha, I love to count a-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Well, I'm currently on four weeks "Gardening Leave" before I start a new job, so we'll be running around a lot more in the next few weeks!

Keep your eyes peeled!

DB
Beetle Customised cars - AR-CoolC
Well, I'm currently on four weeks "Gardening Leave" before I
start a new job, so we'll be running around a lot
more in the next few weeks!
Keep your eyes peeled!
DB

Hows the new ride going then? Did there turn out to be any problems?

Oh and how much have you spent so far on thing you don't need but just want?

(Glass-Tech)
Howdo,

Yeah - it's going well. That SCAT shifter is excellent! Didn't take long for me to fit it and it makes such a difference!

Haven't spent that much to be honest. An Empi stinger exhaust - that's about it.

Cheers,

DB
Beetle Customised cars - bartycrouch
1. The original was/is the largest selling car (How anyone can count the Corolla is beyond me. I know about beetle/super beetle, but it's hardly the same as giving completely new cars the same name ) so plenty of old ones to convert.

2. The new beetle is a show car that should have stayed a show car, ever been in one? A dashboard you could play table tennis on, early ones had door mirrors that actually block visibility at junctions. Costs more than the car they are based on, but not half as useful.

3. look how drives the new beetle. Mods? They might have dated them when they were young!

Beetle Customised cars - Kuang
I used to absolutely adore beetles when I was younger, stemming from the gorgeous old red oval window one my grandad used to own, and later from the orange and white baja that used to park across the road from my house.

Anyone remember the one featured in Street Machine years ago? It was called 'Awesome' and was a huge yellow Baja with an airscoop built into the roof to channel air back to the custom built (but with no details given) lump. Apparently the guy drove it every day and used it as a parts chaser for the garage he worked in :) My early teens were spent staring at the poster and wishing I could have enough money to get a replica built one day...