Roadworks! - PhilB
Does anyone know the legal obligations a contractor has when carrying out roadworks?

I ask this as Transo have been digging up the end of our road (i live on a cul-de-sac so only one way out!) for over 4 weeks now, with little or no obvious progress being made.
The (very busy) road is down to 1 lane with temp. traffic lights controlling flow. These lights seem to be out of operation at least 1/3rd of the time! You can imagine the chaos when trying to get in or out of side roads, especially when there are busses or HGV's involved. Transco don't seem to give a stuff, with engineers' "repairs" to the lights lasting a few hours if their lucky!
I would have assumed if the road is reduced to 1 lane the police/council should require the contrator to maintain safe and controlled traffic flow though the road works? anyone know for sure?
Thanks in advance, Phil.
Roadworks! - JamZ
I think the New Roads and Street Works Act might give some clarity here. I did a course on it a couple of years ago but can't remember much.

hope that helps,

~J
Roadworks! - IanJohnson
Probably a "contractor" working for Transco and there should be a courtesy board out with a phone number for complaints - if not ring Transo and complain about the missing board. The contractor is obliged to maintain a safe site and that includes passers by/traffic but safety comes before traffic flow.

They should have given notice to the appropriate highway authority (local council unless a trunk road) how long they would be working and how long they needed the traffic lights for (permit is needed for traffic lights). You could also try complaining to them since they have inspectors to check on the contractors.

Remember though that the gas pipe they are working on may be to supply you and the gas supply you take for granted. I work for a telecoms contractor and people complain about their phone not working and then complain about the excavations necessary to fix the fault! Would be nice at times to leave them disconnected!

Ian
Roadworks! - Duchess
I stand by everything IanJohnson says.

Temporary traffic lights are notoriously unreliable and also very susceptible to public interference/vandalism. A foolish minority of (mostly) youngsters find it funny to "adjust" safety equipment at roadworks - particularly lights, cones and barriers.

If the lights' failures are out of Transco working hours on the site, you could also make complaint to the hire company (they invariably advertise on their stock) and if there is a traffic danger, to the local police.

Roadworks! - PhilB
Thanks for the comments everyone,
I agree with everything said, I've disscussed the situation with Transco several times, and they don't seem overly interested re: safety, which is my main concern. As an aside every person I have spoken to has assured me "They're going to be filling in the holes tomorrow sir"! Oh well it can't go much longer...
Roadworks! - frostbite
>>every person I have spoken to has assured me "They're going to be filling in the holes tomorrow sir"

Probably delayed by bunch of navvies deciding which way up to lay the tarmac.
Roadworks! - Duchess
As an aside every person I have
spoken to has assured me "They're going to be filling in
the holes tomorrow sir"! Oh well it can't go much longer...

If you're annoyed, try going to the local authority who will have issued the permit to work. These are issued for a limited period and councils can and will fine utility companies who exceed the time allowed to finish the works. Over the last year or so, councils have become very enthusiastic about issuing fines.

Just be aware that if it's not a sub-contractor doing the work then Transco will get the bill and you will pay for it as part of your future gas bills....

As to safety, try the Health & Safety Executive - they are very good at responding to public complaints.

Roadworks! - barney100
I have a problem with the term roadworks, when these things are in operation the road dosen't work. I am learning to chill out when I see the dreaded man opening umbrella sign and have taken to watching other drivers reactions to them as a source of amusement.
Roadworks! - sean
Have you suffered loss or damage from these works?

Is the obstruction on your side of the road, or is your side clear?

If the former, wait.

If the latter, why are you waiting, please?
Roadworks! - Wales Forester
The contractors will have had to inform the local council regarding the roadworks.
The council highways department should be interested in the fact that the contractor is having continual problems with the temporary traffic lights, ring them up as a concerned resident worried about a potential accident, you'll probably find that the council can fine them for not operating safe streetworks.

PP
Roadworks! - Sooty Tailpipes
Many children press the EMERGENCY STOP on the traffic lights to switch them off.
It's probably not the contractor's fault, maybe the part needs to be custom made, they wouldn't do it slowly on purpose, as it costs them money in plant hire.