BP payouts for fuel mix up - 9000
What does everyone think of the following:

BP OFFERING PAYOUTS FOR DRIVERS WHO FILL UP WITH THE WRONG TYPE OF PETROL
BP is to offer compensation to drivers who wreck their cars by filling up with the wrong type of fuel at its pumps. The move, which could cost the company tens of thousands of pounds, means motorists who accidentally put unleaded petrol into diesel cars, or vice versa, will be able to claim for the full cost of damage done to their engine. The company announced the unprecedented step after scores of drivers became confused by Ultimate, the firm's latest range of unleaded fuel.
Express 11/09/04 p47

I haven't seen Ultimate for sale yet- I assume the hose/ trigger is black like diesel normally is??

Isn't this carte blanche for anyone with a dodgy engine to go to BP and fill up with the wrong fuel and claim for a new engine? Could cost BP more than they think.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - LongDriver {P}
I'm sorry, but you've got to be as thick as pig poo to put the wrong fuel in, either that or illiterate!
BP payouts for fuel mix up - NowWheels
I'm sorry, but you've got to be as thick as pig
poo to put the wrong fuel in, either that or illiterate!

I don't reckon I'm much thicker than cow poo, but I managed this once: put petrol in my diesel engine. The was a thread on it, and I'm not alone.

There are all sorts of things that could be done to make it less likely, but sometimes all it takes is being a little being distracted or preoccuppied by something else.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - Altea Ego
I'm sorry, but you've got to be as thick as pig
poo to put the wrong fuel in, either that or illiterate!

Absolutley, only completey illiterate colour blind donkeys could mix them up.

Mind you my 1.7td cav went like the clappers with several litres of lead free in it............. Ever tried paying for fuel used at two pumps? confuses the attendant.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - Mark (RLBS)
They're all green and white with different patterns.

And they were very confusing.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - Bromptonaut
Nearly caught this way, can't recall what colour the hoses and nozzle heads were, both black I think. Pointed out scope for confusion to the staff who couldn't care less. BP St Crispin - now closed - by Sainsbury's in Northampton.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - Altea Ego
No they are not black, only the cooking diesel is black at a BP station. You wait till you fill up where they have Ultimate diesel, it gets confusing then place is like a rainbow.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - kennybase
I was at the Land Rover dealership in Lewes on Friday when I brand new (54 plate) Freelander came in on the back of a tow truck. They were suprised that it was back in so soon - until they found out that the owner had put £15 unleaded in a diesel. Garage advised him to top it up with diesel and so he did - an drove 160miles with it fine. He then decided to get it all cleaned up - but surely any damage would have already been done!
BP payouts for fuel mix up - MichaelR
This seems very odd. Engine sounding a bit ropey? Near the end of its life?

Never fear - fill it with BP Ultimate Diesel (or vice versa) and let them buy you a new engine..

Bizarre.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - daveyjp
This will have our local Jag dealer about ten grand by now! They have some S type diesels as courtesy cars and on three occasions they have been filled with petrol by drivers forgetting the car is a diesel.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - holly1
I suppose it wouldnt be too hard to get mixed up if you have driven a petrol car for years and then swap to a diesel.

I read somewhere that the old Leaded nozzles were different to the Un-leaded so you could not add the wrong one to your car. Don't know how correct this is but if the diesel nozzles were different to petrol that might help to solve some of the errors.
BP payouts for fuel mix up - NARU
I haven't seen Ultimate for sale yet- I assume the hose/
trigger is black like diesel normally is??

The ultimate diesel head is/was blue. A different blue to the unleaded head, granted but you really do have to concentrate!

I've stopped buying ultimate diesel as they introduced it with just a small price premium but have gradually put it up. And they never advertise the price on the big price boards, of course!