Screen Wash - Billsboy
When I first started work, my boss, a well qualified and experienced Fleet Engineer with a large Transport Company always insisted on "Clearalex" being used in his windscreen washers.
On the basis of "if its good enough for him"..., I've used it ever since (more than thirty years) and been very pleased with the performance. As it is either in powder or tablet form, meths is added in the winter to prevent freezing.
Clearalex now seems difficult to come by and I would like to know whether it is stil made and if so where it can be obtained. Failing this, recommendations on which product gives the best results would be appreciated. Some car magazines often make claims as to which are best best, but I wonder how much the sale of advertising space affects this.
Screen Wash - Pugugly {P}
Try www.decosol.co.uk/
Screen Wash - Billsboy
Thanks pugugly, looks good, I'll give it a try.
Screen Wash - kithmo
They sell it at Halfords in powdered form, I use it all the time.
P.s. I find it more difficult to locate a shop that sells meths these days.
Screen Wash - Sooty Tailpipes
I wouldn't want Meths on my bodywork, methanol can corrode metal, especially aluminium.
Screen Wash - Dynamic Dave
I wouldn't want Meths on my bodywork, methanol can corrode metal,
especially aluminium.

What, even if heavily diluted in water?
Screen Wash - Nsar
Bought a bottle at Wickes just the other day. Very nice it was too, plenty of fruit with tones of vanilla and blackcurrant.
Screen Wash - PhilW
I always used to use Decosol but then had to buy soome Carplan in an "emergency" and have used it ever since. I find it excellent and what's more it's cheap - last time I bought it 5 litres of concentrate were on offer at Tesco for £1.99 - and before you think I'm being tight, you'd be amazed how much I use when there are 4 cars in the family and nobody else but me ever buys any - same goes for oil, cleaning products etc!!
Screen Wash - borasport20
meths is for sale in all of the three halfords I visit !

--
Sept 2004 - 'Britain on the Move'
curious ? see www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Screen Wash - henry k
My last Meths came from Wilko but IRC B&Q or Homebase were my previous sources, unlike Citric Acid which has literally gone under the counter.
Screen Wash - doctorchris
Citric acid now under the counter because it is used to "cut" with Heroin.
Screen Wash - Pete M
Could I put in a plug for rain repellent? Years ago, when I was in the Air Force, our aircraft used this, and it meant that the aircraft wipers weren't needed until it got really nasty.
There are a couple of brands around. One of the better known ones has a yellow bottle. It changes the surface tension of the water, and the rain just 'beads' off the screen. When I was living in the uk, it made a huge difference when following HGVs in the wet, as the spray from them didn't affect vision at all. I still use it on all my cars, and it generally needs re-applying about every few months, depending on how much the wipers are used. It works well on rear screens too. You can get a compatible (pink coloured) screen wash additive, which is supposed to prolong the life of the rain repellent effect. I've managed to convert a few people to using it, as it could be a potential life-saver on a wet motorway.
Screen Wash - L'escargot
Could I put in a plug for rain repellent? Years ago,
when I was in the Air Force, our aircraft used this,
and it meant that the aircraft wipers weren't needed until it
got really nasty.
There are a couple of brands around. One of the better
known ones has a yellow bottle.

Don't keep us in suspense ~ I'm all agog to know the brand names.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Screen Wash - Stuartli
>>I'm all agog to know the brand names>>

The yellow bottle one will most likely be RainX - it's very effective.

In the days when windscreen wipers often used to fail, wiping the windscreen with half a raw potato would keep the rain running off for quite a while and allow completion of a journey.