Best van for up to £4000 please - Hugo {P}
OK - was driving twoards Liskeard this afternoon when the Renault Trafic came to a sudden stop - and I mean sudden!

The front wheels locked for no apparent reason (tyre marks on the road bear testament to this) and the van screached to a halt - from around 40 mph.

The engine was running perfectly and the clutch and box seemed to want to propel the vehicle forward, but it was as if though someone had built an invisable wall in front of the van, which it couldn't shift.

The van was stopped dead on the road (facing uphill I might add) and even releasing the handbrake wouldn't let it roll backwards.

When the recovery came (Oh ND how I thought of you) the chap pulled it onto the low loader with me steering and it crept on with a bit of a fight from the off side hub. The recovery driver suspects a damaged wheel bearing or worst case a drive shaft. The noise that was coming from the cab did worsten a few miles earlier so I am thinking wheel bearing.

Duly dropped home and I managed to park it whilst driving slowly an hearing a grating noise from said hub. So it is still possible to move it under its own steam.

Anyway, onto my next point. Week now completely messed up, Discovery will have to be used as works van for next few days at least, and that spiral staircase I bought on Ebay for my house will now have to be picked up later in the week, not to mention the delay in the furniture being delivered from my late mother's house to family in London!

So the wife and I were discussing the possible case for a newer van. Disco TD5 is now on the very back burner as there is nothing wrong with the 200TDi (Oh dear lets not tempt fate, otherwise the works van will become an automatic Nissan Almera!!!!).

So, the trafic as a van is fine, though looking tatty at 187K + miles and is hell on earth on the motorway. I don't need a high roof, though I may consider one if it were cheap. I would like one long enough to put 8x4 sheets in the back, which the current N reg trafic isnt though they can go in diagonally.

The van MUST be diesel - petrol is a no no.

The van must have a NS sliding door - though most of these size of vans do these days.

Max Payload must be 1 tonne or more.

Security is the main thing, so deadlocks and Remote central locking and alarm etc are highly desireable. In addition I would like aircon, though this is further down my list.

Second to that is reliablility. The Trafic has been virtually faultless in this aspect. Today is the first time it has ever broken down on me.

Thirdly - performance. I like the merc sprinters and the vitos, though I don't know if the vitos are big enough for me.

The trafic has no bulkhead between the cab and the load area, which I actually find an advantage. This makes the vehicle more flexible as it allows me to load in timbers up to 3.6M long without using the roof rack, by folding the passanger seat forward. I would prefer the same arrangement on a new van, though this is not essential.

The van should be presentable though imaculate is not essential.

The mileage must be sensible for the type of van. Anything up to 90 to 100K

I don't want an LDV for their reliablility reputation, - nor do I want an alfa 156 estate (commercial produce of alfa?? :) ).

Assuming the problem with the trafic isn't serious and it is fixed. I would hope to sell it for around £600, which I could add to the £4k I mentioned.

OK folks, lets have your recommendations please.

Hugo
Best van for up to £4000 please - LongDriver {P}
I don't want an LDV for their reliablility reputation

Neither do you want to try driving one.

I believe they only still make them because the Royal Mail and Sixt still insist on buying them.

Perhaps they will improve when they install the upgrade from 1970s to 1980s technology???
Best van for up to £4000 please - mark999
The T4 transporter (tdi) is a good choice but watch out for the expensive cambelt change at 60K.
You probably wont to wrong with a Transit

Can't reccomend:-

a vito my V class (vito with seats and windows)
was a total lemon.

Nissan Vanette too slow and too many expensive problems ie brake calipers £250 each, Steering idlers £375 each

Hope this is of help
Best van for up to £4000 please - legacylad
I have run VW Transporters for best part of 20 years (did try a Vito for 3 months but a very unhappy memory & involved a solicitor...probably much better now). The older 2.4 5 cylinder diesel has proved an excellent workhorse, especially in LWB HiRoof guise. You may be able to pick one of these up but I'm not sure when this engine became unavailable. Mine is a 97' P reg and I have no intention of changing, as I plan to run it into the ground.
Other friends swear by Transits.Trying to locate a clean, carefully driven with mechanical sympathy by one careful owner, could prove problematic!
Best van for up to £4000 please - none
The latest of the old type Transits is probably the best bet. Bullet proof engine, gearbox usually good but diffs whine a bit on high milage ones. Prop shaft front joint needs checking on long wheelbase ones. Back springs prone to breaking. Doors and locks last well although Hi top back doors tend to droop and break at hinge areas. Cam belt easy to change and no terminal damage if it does snap.
The Transit 2000's are a lot nicer to drive but the earlier ones had lots of problems with electronics, fuel pump, cooling system, dual mass flywheel, clutch hydraulics, front subframe suspension bushes. They could also be opened by using a stanley knife. If you use the sliding door a lot be prepared for problems with handle. No cam belt.
VW LT's are a good bet as well. Brakes always feel spongy but work well, try and avoid ABS ones Engine prone to minor oil leaks from anywhere and everywhere. Gearboxes and diffs faultless. Persistent niggly ecu / electrical faults. Two belts to change, fuel pump at the back of the engine and cam belt at the front, expensive main dealer job.Very easy to break into sliding door with a screwdriver. Overall though, a reliable van.
As for Iveco's, Bedfords, etc. Well, they're a bit cheaper to buy - and it shows !
I have seen a peugeot boxer van on an X for £4,600 ono. It looks to be in good condition - any thoughts??

Hugo
Best van for up to £4000 please - Adam {P}
Hugo,
I wouldn't possibly be able to tell you when the left upper lesser spotted sprocket on an Expert or a Boxer break. Similarly I wouldn't know when the discombobulator mark 3 on a Transit van breaks but £4,600 seems a little pricey although this could well be spot on.

I had a very brief search on Autotrader and it came up with a W reg one with 65k on for £3,200 and a Y (didn't say mileage so I'm guessing high) with one owner from new at 4,200.

Like I say, 4,600 could be the norm so sorry if this hasn't helped one bit.

Cheers
Adam
Adam

I think you're right. Having looked on e bay there are a couple of Citroen versions with similar miles and ages. One has a reserve on it of £3k and has received no bids. The other is attracting similar interest.

I know he hasn't had it long so I suspect he's just trying to get near to what he paid from a dealer for it, rather than just accept what it's worth now.

Just to update you all on the current van situation. My friend, a mechanic who now works for kwik fit as a trainer and assessor, has indicated that the problem most likely lies within the output end of the box. So we're talking probably £400 plus on a vehicle that may be worth £600 when fixed, assuming I can find a good box for it.

I think I'll just advertise it for £250 spares or repairs and replace it with something newer.

H
Best van for up to £4000 please - Vansboy
The van market is pretty much on the floor, just now, so follow HJ's advice & check out the auction.

Not a huge choice, currently, in the sales, but if you buy an ex fleet - DIRECT - vehicle, your a good way to doing it right!!

VB
I'm a long way from Blackbushe - but there is an auction in Gloustershire.

The main problem here is I don't have much time. My Trafic is well and truly up the spout and I don't want to spend money on the repair that could go towards a new van.

Next week is more or less cancelled for me anyway. If I go the new van route it will take a week to get sorted anyway.

Thanks though.

Hugo
Best van for up to £4000 please - Adam {P}
Good luck whatever you do H. Let us you how you get on.
Adam
Best van for up to £4000 please - Altea Ego
Someone I know got a Vito. It was a hellish experience apparently and like a previous responder ended up in court.

Seem to be overtaken regularly by Sprinters tho.

for 4k my moneys on a Tranny. Built like the preverbial brick thingy, and loads and loads of variants.
Best van for up to £4000 please - DavidHM
For what it's worth, Nissan is doing 0% finance on the Primastar at the moment. If you can get a big discount (and these vans' sale prices and list prices bear little resemblance to each other) then this may be worthwhile. Speak to your local dealer.
Guess you're near Manheim, Dursley - NOT a cheap auction, but lots big fleets use it, thus giving an always HUGE entry!

If you've decided to think on brand new, leasing & all the rest of it, lots tempting deals around. Be carefull of pre-registered, discounted stock, it probably won't attract the manufacterers lower/intrest, or 0% free offer, if they've got a deal running.

Last couple of months have been truly down for new van, registrations, forcing plenty of these, no mileage vehicles, to be dealer registered, just to reach targets.

Best work out what YOU want, than be tempted by a good offer. You're the one thats got to drive it & work from it!

VB
For what it's worth, Nissan is doing 0% finance on the
Primastar at the moment. If you can get a big
discount (and these vans' sale prices and list prices bear little
resemblance to each other) then this may be worthwhile. Speak
to your local dealer.

David, I had to laugh when I saw this. Guess what I've just done!

The new 54 reg Nissan Primastar should be ready by the end of the week!

Story goes like this....

I was persuaded to look at new and saw the short wheelbase offered in a dealership in Exeter at o% finance over 2 years - List price £11,495 + vat.

I decided to go and try one and as I was in Plymouth I thought I would go there instead and then pursue either them, the Exeter dealership or UK Vehicle Contracts.

The salesman at Mumfords in Plymouth had given me a 'deler buy' figure for my mother's Nissan Almera. As he was so helpful that time I decided to go and see them as well.

So, having already asked the salesman in Plymouth to do a finance proposal yesterday, I decided to go and ask for a test drive.

The demonstrater was a LWB and, having felt that my old SWB did limit me I had already decided to consider the LWB as well.

That van is GREAT! 6 speed box (+ reverse btw!) Electric mirrors, electric windows etc etc. So I decided to look at the proposals for the LWB. His price started at £12,700 +, which I negotiated down to £11,900 +. then came the bombshell....

"We can get you one for November Hugo."

Ah....

"Well" he said "If you're not fussed about the CD player, we have a slightly older model that doesn't have one that we got in to meet anticipated demand. It's worth £500 discount to you would you like to see it."

Price now £11,400 + vat

We looked at it and it was fine. I then asked him to double check the spec to make sure that was the only difference. It wasn't - no ABS or reversing sensors!

Well, ABS isn't a must have for me, so I suggested a further discount. He wouln't agree to my £10,500 so he did an estimate at £10,995 + vat

I contacted both the other people I was looking to buy from, and they could not compete, not even close!

So I considered that A further £900 + vat was compensation enough to not have ABS plus the CD player instead of a R/C, and they are fitting the Reversing sensor kit FOC. In addition, a bulkhead behind the driver is also being fitted.

I then contacted them over the phone to suggest they include FOC a set of roof bars. "Well we've got a deal, I just need to finalise this Hugo" he said.

He Phoned me back "We're giving you 4 roofbars as it's a long van and we'll fit the bulkhead for you. That's "£10,995 + vat please 0% scheme."

The deposit and finance gets sorted tomorrow.

I need this vehicle NOW, so as long as Commercial Vehicle Direct are speedy with my new cover note, hopefully taxed and collected Thursday.

1st job for it is a run to London to drop off furniture and pick up my spiral staircase from Petersfield, then my tools go in the back....

So, that's £10,995 + vat for a LWB low roof, The Exeter dealer was at £12,595 + vat for the same vehicle. Hence saving of £1500 + vat, ABS as an extra £600 on the van at the time, now it is standard, so not having the CD player saved £900 + VAT! That must be quite some system they've got in there!!!

So Hopefully, now I am sorted.

Hugo

PS - anyone want a Renault Trafic??
Doh!!

& I was going to try & sell you my Maestro van, it's just counted over to 320,000 miles last week - that would have done you!! & we'd do a deal with your scrapper!!

Still, wonder if you could get them to reduce the price a bit more - say your concerned about the lack of ABS - it's shortly to become a standard requirement on all vehicles, so must be verrrrrrrrrry old build stock!!

VB
I understand the stock is 3 to 6 months old. Apart from the CD player, this is the ONLY difference in the spec.

I have a much better plan of action up my sleeve VB. I am going to claim for a misbuild under warranty!! "Buth they all have that now surely" will be my line :)

Anyway, the deal is done. As I drove out I saw a SWB 52 reg at £9995+vat. I know there was probably a bit of flexability in that as well, but the way I see it is that a 52 LWB otherwise identical could have been up for around £11200 +vat, and I got my 54 reg cheaper than that, and with the 0% finance and 3 yr warranty!

I was chuffed when the other dealership in Exeter said, "If they can do it for that I would take it. They're going to cause themselves problems letting it go that cheap but that's not your concern"

I'm gutted I missed out on your Maestro van though! :)

They used to have great character, now all I see in them is culture, or is that because they've just got damp inside :))

Well now I've got the van I expect a general torrent of - "you should have gone to...." They are doing the same van with aircon ABS built in teasmade etc for £8995 with a £1 deposit!!

H
Best van for up to £4000 please - Martin Devon
Good morning Hugo..Didn't I suggest new some months ago? A Nissan primastar is a renault trafic and also a vauxhall Vivaro! If the deal is sealed then I'm too late, but i've always found Bristol Sreet Motors on Marsh Barton in exeter to do blinding deals on renault vans, hence my Master. Mike Stacey is the rep' and a very nice man to boot.

Very Best regards and good luck.

P.S. I had deadlocks fitted independently at about £500.00. Lots of dough, but prob' worth it.
Hi Martin

Yes the deal is sealed. The deposit has been taken from my cc - I get £15 back from the CC company for the privalage. My statement date is the 6th of every month and the deposit was taken on the 7th - so that's plenty of time to draw the money out of the high interest account.

The finance went through OK.

I did think of the Master, though I felt that the LWB would be sufficient for my needs.

The Nissan, I found to be better specced than the Renault and the Vauxhall. The Deal I have got is around £3,600+vat down then the rest split into monthly payments over 2 years.

The Nissan dealer in Exeter couldn't come anywhere near that figure, nor could a lot of those internet van sales companies. UK Vehicle Contracts was a joke! I would have ended up paying £2000 deposit then around £180 pm over three years then a final ballon payment of £5100, and that was for SWB! The total amount payable was round £13,900 + vat for a van I could have got 2 yrs 0% for £11,495.

In the end I got the LWB OK without ABS, for £10,900 - and the van is actually there, otherwise I would have had to wait until November. Not a problem if the old Trafic was still mobile, but a serious problem when it isn't. I guess I have relied on that van well and squeezed every bit of use out of it possible. It owes me virtually nothing and if I get a couple of hundred for it I'll be happy.

So Tomorrow the insurance details hopefully get here and then go into Mumfords. I want it for Thursday so some beers for the wokshop lads may oil the wheels a bit I suppose. The problem is I negotiated for some stuff to be done for it so I'm my own worst enemy as this is what will hold it up!

All the best and thanks for that advice, I may try there next time.

Hugo