Megane boot opens when locked - David Horn
Hi,

My brother has an 03 Megane which has an interesting fault - the boot opens when the doors are locked.

Basically, to repeat the problem you do the following:

1) Lock the doors using the remote
2) Press the boot release button 4-5 times in rapid succession
3) Bingo! The boot pops open.

It won't close until the car has been unlocked - as you can imagine, this is rather a serious flaw as it means the boot is no longer secure. The trick doesn't seem to work when the car has been deadlocked, however.

Megane dealer says they have never heard of the problem before - could another Megane owner try it out on their own car? I suspect it can be fixed with a software upgrade though, or failing that, I imagine the Daily Mail would pay for such a novel story!!
Megane boot opens when locked - Dynamic Dave
Not sure I get what you mean.

Your brother locks the car using the remote. He then presses the boot release button and it unlocks the boot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the point of a boot release button?

My Vectra has a separate button on the keyfob to unlock the boot, but all the car doors remain locked. To lock the boot again, I just press the button that locks the doors.
Megane boot opens when locked - jc
Why did he push the button 4/5 times in the first place?
Ah, no, he's pushing the boot release button on the car, not on the remote. It's electronic, you push the switch and the boot pings open.

The problem is, if the button's pushed several times in rapid succession with the car locked, it opens the boot. So anyone that knew the trick could get access.

I have no idea how he discovered that this little trick worked on his car; I've got a good ol'fashioned lock on mine.
Megane boot opens when locked - JohnPug
If a car has deadlocks, I tend to use them all the time. So if I had his car I wouldn't have a problem.
You'd look a bit stupid if someone breaks into your car and the deadlocks weren't activated.
Megane boot opens when locked - Dynamic Dave
Ah, no, he's pushing the boot release button on the car,
not on the remote. It's electronic, you push the switch
and the boot pings open.

I see. So therefore he must either be sat in the locked car to try this, or leave the window open and reach in. If he's sat in the car then maybe the electronics are picking up the imobiliser signal from the key and thus letting him open the boot. If he's reaching in through the window, then a thief could do the same after smashing said window and then unlock the doors anyway as he hasn't deadlocked them. I gather that this would also unlock the boot as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that he should use the deadlock system all the time. This will protect the doors and boot from being opened.

Megane boot opens when locked - mattieboy
Hi Jesse

there seems to be confusion as to what you're describing, so I'll just relate back what I understand of the eproblem.

you lock the car using the remote key fob. You then walk to the back of the car, and press the boot release. For those who haven't used a Megane boot release, it's in the usual place above the rear number plate but has no direct mechanical connection, and is electronic in nature. Do this 4-5 times and the boot opens?

My friend has a new model megane, I'll ask him to try. I'm not sure what the deadlocks are, can you activate those from the key remote as well? Are deadlocks fitted on all models (I'm not sure what model my friends is, other than being a diesel)?

Matt
Yup, Matt has it exactly right. I think deadlocks are on all models, you activate them by pushing the lock button twice, if I remember correctly.

While it's no real issue for him to use the deadlocks, it's still worrying that the boot can't be considered secure when locked. I keep looking around for another Megane to try this on in a car park, but probably won't do it as it means their boot will be unlocked until they get back!
Megane boot opens when locked - mattieboy
Jesse

Tried it last night on mate's car, didn't work (that is, the boot didn't open).

He's got a 1.9 Diesel, didn't cach model, but looking at catalogue it might be the cdi.

Matt
Megane boot opens when locked - BB
Hi,

May sound a silly question, but as mentioned above, did he have the car keys in his pocket when opening the boot? Renault Megane's have keyless entry. This will of course mean the boot will be able to be opened.

SWMBO has a Megane so will try when she comes back from work.
Only the higher spec Meganes. His has a "plip" remote. You have to push the button on the boot six or seven times in rapid sucession (with the car not deadlocked) and it just pings open.

It must just be his car (it's a 1.6 Dynamique) but it's rather an unusual problem!
Megane boot opens when locked - BobbyG
Tried it on my Scenic - boot stays firmly locked.
Megane boot opens when locked - Simon
I've tried it on a new style Laguna, the boot stays firmly locked on this model.
Megane boot opens when locked - Altea Ego
Laguna ditto - stays locked
even when not deadlocked via the remote card
Modern renaults have the central locking/imobilisor/"lots of other leccy functions" integrated into a central cpu. I suspect it may need to be changed. I suspect they might have a software fault (certainly sounds that way to me )