Ace Cafe Meet - THe Growler
Glad to report our new leather vests (goatskin) for Growlette and me have arrived from Bangkok and my Ace Cafe patches have been duly stitched on along with my riding group's colours. My pals were chuffed with the Ace patches, T-shirts and pins I brought back.

Good to see the Ace reborn, I think it should be a National Heritage site......

Last night on the History Channel they did a Mods and Rockers thing and the old Caff got plenty of exposure. Certainly I remember c.1960 sticking 6d in the jukebox and tearing down and back before the record ended (if we were lucky). The Bonnies had it on the straights but those Tritons were king at the end of the day.

Brings back the memories of a packet of Players Weights, a cod and nine and a pickled onion.....

Thanks to HJ for suggesting the venue and thanks to our BR-ers who found the time to pitch up. Really I enjoyed myself.

HJ -- Phuket Bike Week next April, we'll be there, bring Muta?
Ace Cafe Meet - helicopter
I remember some aggro in Brighton in my younger day but for a real fight you couldn't beat Newcastle on a Saturday night.

It was Woodbines and Newcastle Brown in my neck of the woods Growler but certainly the Cod and sixpennorth evokes memories along with a nice crunchy Ross' pickled onion. Are they still on the go? Over to the Geordie backroomers
Ace Cafe Meet - J Bonington Jagworth
In Cod we trust...

I'm very proud of my Ace Cafe sticker. I may have to go back and get some more!
>>>>In Cod we trust...

....or as we used to say at Harrow County Grammar for Boys lunchtimes:

"The piece of Cod which passeth all understanding....."
Well I stray as ever, but here in Manila at The Woodman's Head, which is run by an unreconstructed Geordie, tattoos up the back of his neck, shaven head, with an impenetrable dialect, you can still get a battered mahi-mahi (grouper fish -- tastes like a cod), a bag of chips, a decent crispy pickled onion, salt and vinegar and a Newcastle Brown. What's more he wraps it in proper newspaper! A bit more than 1/9d,in fact about two pound 30....

Growlette thinks it's marvellous, and wolfs the lot, then goes into crisis about waistline etc.

Tenuous link to motoring, but we often stop and get some to drive home with. But no longer am I allowed to toss discarded chip wrappers and empty beer bottles under the seat as I used to do with my Vauxhall Victor.......

No Weights any more but I gave them up years ago.
Ace Cafe Meet - J Bonington Jagworth
"battered mahi-mahi"

I must ask for that next time I visit the chippy.

One of the advantages of using a bike for such trips is the pleasant warming effect of the purchase (when stuffed in the jacket) on the return journey. As you may gather, we're not having a brilliant summer...
Ace Cafe Meet - Altea Ego
"But no longer am I allowed to toss discarded chip wrappers and empty beer bottles under the seat as I used to do with my Vauxhall Victor......."

Where (being a vauxhall of that vintage) they would migrate into one of the rust holes in the floorpan and deposit themselves along the road
JBJ: indeed. A fast journey up the Findon by-pass on a cold January evening on the Velocette Venom was much mitigated by the warmth of several of the lads' orders from the chippery stuffed under the Belstaff Trialmaster jacket. Mum used to complain about the pong when the sweater went in for washing, but to no avail.

RF: I loved my Victor. It had a great punchy little 1508 cc (IIRC) engine and could out-corner a Spitfire on the A283 between Steyning and Washington. I know cos I done it. But alas once parked I swear you could actually hear it rusting. Pity, because it was a great looking car. Radio Caroline crackling in and out (Tony Blackburn, who he?)on the radio, Sandra or maybe it was Barbara, forget now, with a back-combed bouffant hair-do straight out of a bottle puffing on a Senior Service and sulking about something or other, driving to the Crawdaddy Club to cough up 6 bob each to see Manfred Mann and the Rolling Stones (none of whom could play anything remotely in tune then) and paying all of 3/6d for a can of Courage and a bottle of Babycham. Forgot how much a packet of 3 used to cost....... ;+)

Ace Cafe Meet - helicopter
Hang on Growler - my older sister is called Barbara , still dyes her hair but gave up the Seniors thirty years ago.......
Ace Cafe Meet - terryb
Forgot how much a packet
of 3 used to cost....... ;+)

1/9 IIRC
--
Terry
Forgot how much a packet
of 3 used to cost....... ;+)

>>1/9 IIRC

Bejesus you're right. And the barber remarking as he trimmed the Duck's A** haircut into Brylcreemed perfection "(ahem) will Sir be needing anything for the weekend, then?" Alas you had to very lucky to get lucky, despite liberal applications of Old Mice, as it were known.

But I mourn the passing of vinyl bench seats. That's why I loved American cars so much. Set 'em up to wallow round a sharp left hand bend (LHD car), and lo, one's intended ended up in one's lap.

But if you are a grey biker and can find the motorcycle episode of "Modern Marvels", done by the History Channel but available on DVD, get yer fish 'n chips, light up a gasper, crack open a bottle of Courage Light Ale, and enjoy.

Make sure to avoid anyone in a sharp suit, winklepickers and with a Rod Stewart haircut riding a Lambretta.

Ace Cafe Meet - frostbite
"Set 'em up to wallow round a sharp left hand bend (LHD car), and lo, one's intended ended up in one's lap"

Shurely, right hand bend?
Ah, you spotted the deliberate mistake to see if anyone reads my posts....