02 PD130 wet carpets & Turbo problem - Vincent
Hi,

Two problems with my 2002 VW Passat PD 130 Sport, which has completed 21,000 miles.

After a heavy downpour I've just noticed the carpets on the front passenger side are very wet and there is clearly a lot of water under the carpet. The problem seems worse on the left hand side of the footwell towards the front. Is this a common VW problem and any ideas where it gets in ......... and how to stop it???

Also I've noticed that if I acceletate briskly, usually 2nd gear to 3rd gear, then change gear while in the 1900 to 2500 rev range the car gives a jerk type reaction not too disimilar to an auto gearbox kicking down suddenly. Its almost as if the engine or turbo pauses for about a second before kicking in again then pulling away normally ..... this didn't happen for the first 18 months I had the car so I don't think its my driving! Any ideas??? is there a turbo problem developing???

Vince

Edited by Pugugly on 18/03/2008 at 20:16

Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - Dave Andrews
my dad had this exact problem in the wet last week with the downpour of rain. its a common passat problem - if you put a hose on the bottom windscreen (passenger side) you'll find that the water will go straight through into the footwell. he has taken it back into VW and they are going to fix it this week. its a common problem so they should know about it.

no idea on the turbo problem -

cheers

dave
Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - Malcolm_L
The wet carpet problem is usually the pollen filter housing not being reseated correctly.

Car been serviced recently?

I had sufficient water in the footwell to use a dustpan to scoop it out!

Turbo could be MAF sensor, however could be the turbo itself, mine was replaced at 50k. (2001 130PDI)
You'll need to take the service manager out and demonstrate the fault - when one of my turbo seals started to go they replaced it without quibbling.
Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - Aprilia
I think you do maybe have a turbo problem developing, but without hearing/feeling the problem it would be difficult to diagnose. I think it is back to the dealer and a trip out with the service manager.
Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - The_Mole_763682
My 2001 B5 had exactly this problem.

There is a well underneath the main battery and this has a couple of rubber drain plugs. These are well known to get blocked with leaves and other yack. They aren't the easiest to get to and involve removing the main battery. But to confirm that this IS your problem, take a look under the battery - you will most likely see a lot of water sploshing about.
The first I knew of this was when I braked hard and (seriously) a huge wave of water flooded the front footwell of the car!

Mole
Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - Peter D
This link will reveal all. It can be the plenum chamber and or the pollen filter. Be prepared www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20184...r.
If you enter Plenum Chamber in the search engine on that or the passat forum you will find a pictor gallery and instructions of how to rectify the problem. You have to remove the lower screen trim to list the pollen tray out and you will need to take great care as you can crack the windscreen. Regards Peter
Pay particualr attention to the brake servo and check for corrosion as the lower edge may have been underwater for some considerable time and have ingested water into the servo. This will effect the braking and or the vacuum available to control the turbo. You will b not be the first to have to change the filter seals the servo and the CCM under the passenger foot well. I did one prior to taking an extended vacation in the USA from where I presently send this email. The Audi and Passat dealers out here check the bunks at major service free of chage and many claims for repairs have been paid. However in the UK the response it not common across dealers and Only recently have Audi admitted it is a problem although they quitely issues a FBR last year. Regards Peter
Passat - wet carpets & Turbo problem - adverse camber
I suspect that since the original post is from 2004 it's been sorted by now.
I didn't spot that, I'm on holiday in USA, well that's my excuse anyway. Regards Peter