Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Pezzer
Just by chance I got to drive a 120d Sport today (apparently a day earlier than permitted by BMW). THey look much better in the flesh than on paper - still not a pretty car. I think it will be like the 5 series which does grow on you. However the 163 bhp TD even with only 35 miles on the clock is absolute stunner - it seems to pull in every gear between 20 and 90 ! I was talking myself into a 320cd coupe but with the pricing and performance on the 120 I am probably going to order one as my next company car - the reduction in monthly cost to me will be substantial.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - meldrew
As well as being ugly is it not overpriced in relation to the 3 series?
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - colinh
Overpriced compared to current 3-series; but not against next year's, which is "going up half-a-class" (whatever that means!).
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - meldrew
Overpriced compared to current 3-series; but not against next year's, which
is "going up half-a-class" (whatever that means!).

This is the silly thing about new car models - for example the current Vectra seems enormous compared with original Cavaliers.
But back to BMW. Mrs M has a 3 Series Compact which, cheaper than a similarly specced 1 Series seems much better value.

So will she want a 1 series next for the benefit of a quality hatchback? I don't think so.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Pezzer
Meldrew, i am admit it isnt a pretty car, but it is better in the flesh - have you actually seen one yet ? It is cheaper through my company scheme (much ...residuals ???) so I dont really care about the purchase price, although from a P11d perspective it is also better. Also the engine is the new one over that in the current 3 series range. So looks aside it is cheaper more powerful and certainly more distinctive than (for the time being !!) than the 3.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Older_not_wiser
Did your test drive include some bad road surface(s)?

I found the ride very firm.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Phoenicks
Its funny how everyone calls it ugly yet hardly anyone has seen one.

I saw one at Festival of Speed - really nice looking, far better design and build of any other equivalent class car and a very tempting proposition.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - daveyjp
Older not wiser - this comment about a firm ride is interesting.

Autoexpress have just done a head to head test with the '1', Golf and A3 - all with 1.6 engines.

The Audi came last due to the cost when compared to the Golf and also the hard ride when compared to the 1, but if you look at the detail Autoexpress tested a BMW 1 SE version against the Audi A3 Sport version.

It seems that 'sport' versions of German cars are to be avoided.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - just a bloke
Autoexpress have just done a head to head test with the
'1', Golf and A3 - all with 1.6 engines.

I'd have thought that the group should have include a 147.

Here we see an illustration of the *real* media bias.

JaB

Drove a 1 series Beemer today - kenl
>> Autoexpress have just done a head to head test with
the
>> '1', Golf and A3 - all with 1.6 engines.
>>
I'd have thought that the group should have include a 147.
Here we see an illustration of the *real* media bias.

Perhaps but they only included what they consider the big 3 in the class. All the cars tested are very new also so if a car has been out a couple of years they tend to be forgotten.
Perhaps but they only included what they consider the big 3
in the class. All the cars tested are very new
also so if a car has been out a couple of
years they tend to be forgotten.

er... Golf? new? a new model maybe but hardly new, same for the A3.

have you seen the number of 147's on the road? not exactly uncommon are they.

Alfa's are rarely included in tests. Which is why so many people still think them unreliable rust buckets.

JaB
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - colinh
YTD Sales to June 2004

VW - 94,819 (up 4.35%)
Audi - 41,033 (up 6.37%)
Alfa - 4,909 (down 11.76%)
So waht if they sell less cars than the germans, they don't benefit from the same amount of free advertising as the germans.
When they are mentioned in the media it always the smae 20 years out of date cliches that are trotted out.

The point is...
if the media spent less time looking at the default choices and made more of an attempt to include other cars we may not have quite so many of the same boxes on the roads

JaB
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - kenl
Alpha's are lovely cars (I love the look of the 147) but sadly their reputation in the UK is terrible which I am sure is totally un-justified.

However, their residuals are poor and the Fiat/Alpha dealer network also has a poor record so this puts people off buying them.

I agree with your comment about the motoring press in that it would be better writing about more varying cars but from their point of view heavy features on Focus, Golf etc which sell loads probably bring them more sales too.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Sofa Spud
I am prepared to admit on here (yet again) that I once owned an Austin Allegro estate car! It wasn't all that bad, but if I wanted to buy a BMW I certainly wouldn't want one that reminds me of my old Allegro!!!!

Cheers, SS
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - MichaelR
I have seen one in the flesh and yes, it's just as ugly as the photographs.

'The Only 1'. Thank god.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - mare
small rear wheel drive hatchback? reminds me of my Chevette!

From the photo's, it's an improvement on the 3 series compact.
Drove a 1 series Beemer today - Adam {P}
BM's are meant to be big cars. Look at the 316. Looked like it had been rear ended. I have no idea how well they sold but I can't imagine they shifted more than....3. Keep BMW's nice powerful and everyone will be happy.

Look at the 7 series! Can't go wrong with one of them!
Adam