Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - TimR
I have V6 406 coupe with 110 k on the clock. The engine is sound as a pound ? no leaks and very smooth. I think its about time for an oil change and as I like to do as much work on the car as I can myself am looking for recommendations on the best oil to put in it.

There are 1001 varieties on the market and wile I?m sure many are the same some must stand out for one reason or the other.

Any thoughts?

Tim
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 - Roger Jones
Castrol GTX labelled "for engines with over 75,000 miles". There are others, of course, but, as I've said before, I can't think of a reason for not trusting Castrol and, as the label claims (and they must be able to substantiate), it appears to be designed for engines entering middle age. That's what I use in my 1984 Capri 2.8i.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 - RichardW
Hmm, I would think 'oil for older engines' would likely be something like 20W50 mineral which is not really suitable at all for a modern 'performance' motor like the 3.0 V6. You need to find out what oil grade Pug specify, and use something that meets that. As long as it says the right spec on the tin it should be OK. I'd have thought you'd be looking at a fully synthetic oil in that engine.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 - Ben {P}
I'd go along with that. If i were you i would go to a good local "trade" motorfactors and buy whatever 5W-40 synthetic oil they stock, expect to pay around £15 for four litres. Or check Halfords, they do good offers on their own brand 5W-40 oil.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 - 3500S
Stick to the manufacturers spec if the Castrol 'for older cars' fits, use that.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 - Gregory R
'Castrol GTX labelled "for engines with over 75,000 miles"

This oil is basically the cheap and old version of the Castrol oils. The spec for this oil is A2/ B2, which is inferior to the standard Castrol oils. In effect, the above oil is equivelent to the £6 per 5 litre oils available at most motor factors and is not a good move unless you have a leaky and worn motor.

It is best to stick to the oil you used in the past in my opinion.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - Cyd
I use Halfords Fully Synth 5W40 in my 132k Rover turbo. Engine loves it. Still drives like new, barely loses a drop and clean as whistle inside. recommended.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - TimR
Thanks folks!
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - Sooty Tailpipes
The reason I would never use Castrol or Duckhams oils for the domestic consumer is the way they have such dumbed-down marketting and packaging claims, like the "For modern engines" or "For engines with over 75,000 miles"
These are dangerous generalisations, sorry Castrol, it's not as simple as you suggest, and you know full well.

People need to look in the handbook and get a service specification such as ACEA or API which meets or exceeds that laid down by the manufacturer, regardless of the colour of the label and dubious claims.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - LeePower
Pop down your Peugeot dealer.

If they have an Express fit dept you might find them still offering the £10 oil & filter change.

If not, Pop in the parts dept, Oil, Filter & sump washer for around £10 & all proper Peugeot parts too.
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - Ian D
Tailpipes is correct, just because your car reaches 75000 miles is no reason to put in Castrol mineral oil because thats what it says on the Castrol can in Halfords. Stick to the manufacturers spec which is probably 5W40 fully synthetic or 10w40 semi-synthetic.

Most main dealers use 10W40 semi-synthetic oil for their bulk servicing, they don't use for example VW oil in VW dealers, or Toyota branded oil in Toyota dealers, the dealers bulk buy whatever they can get cheap. My local VW and Toyota dealers use Esso Ultra 10W40 semi-synthetic, the local Subaru dealer uses 10W40 Castrol Magnatec etc, so what I am saying is as per previous threads stick to what the car has been used on and buy what you can get cheap, the labels always state what spec the oil meets so provided it meets the required spec all should be well.

I have 2 cars both on between 170,000 and 225,000 miles, both are running fine on regular (5-7k) 10W40 semi-synthetic oil changes, either Vauxhall stuff from my local motor factors for £9 for 5 litres, or Millers XSS from another garage for £12 for 5 litres, much cheaper than Castrol GTX from Halfords. Stick to what you know and avoid the marketing hype...
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - Roger Jones
TimR

What oil have you been using until now?
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - Hawesy1982
Good question Roger.

I'm sure i've heard on this site before that if you upgrade you oil on an engine that has done a lot of miles you run a small risk of actually creating faults.

Something to do with 110k old gunge suddenly being shifted by top of the range oil, and exposes a gasket leak etc behind it?

I'd stick to whatever it was running on before, if it ain't broke...
Oil for a 110,000 mile V6 Peugeot 406 - pugman
Around about the changeover from R to S plate Peugeot changed from mineral to semi-synthetic oil, and service intervals went up to 20k accordingly (previously it was 9k I think). What were the service intervals on your car - that should tell you what oil was being used.

If your car was running at 20k intervals, I\'d stick with a semi-synthetic and reduce the interval to 10k (20k is a long time, especially for an older engine).