Vauxhall Carlton starting problem HELP!! - Carse
A friend has a Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 CDi (J Reg) and the thing will not start. A garage has used diagnostic equipment and it states the Crankshaft sensor as the issue. Upon fitting a new one the car will still not start.

We have used the diagnostic connector shorting technique and the blink code read is indeed a crank sensor failure. I believe this code can be set by other issues that force the ECU to indict the Crank but I do not know which ones.

Does anyone in the BR have any advice on what we can try next to solve the problem, (other that scrap the car, which is a serious option if we cannot fix it).

Thanks,

Carse16
Vauxhall Carlton starting problem HELP!! - Gregory R
The best advise for this can be come about through the help pages in the Car Mechanics magazine found in Whsmiths and newsagents. Either write or fax the help teams (Rodney Jacques), and I have always recieved a satisfactory answer in my experience. Try them, they are free and have the answers to all car problems.
Vauxhall Carlton starting problem HELP!! - elekie&a/c doctor
Check fuel pump/system relay located in plastic box by nearside suspension turret.this controls efi system power-up.
Vauxhall Carlton starting problem HELP!! - Number_Cruncher
Carse,

Before spending any more cash it may be a good idea to check the basics.

1) When cranking is the engine spinning over ok?
2) When cranking is there a spark at the plug leads?
3) When cranking does the fuel pump run?
4) When cranking do the injectors operate?
5) When cranking is the cam turning?
6) After cranking does the exhaust smell of fuel?

Answering these questions will get you further on your way than checking blink codes.

The blink code on a lot of Vauxhalls indicate crank angle sensor (code 31 from memory) even if it is ok. Obviously, you run the check when the engine is not turning - hence no signal. This fault code usually clears when the engine starts.

I hope that helps,

number_cruncher