Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - PeterRed
I'm in the market for a mid-sized diesel MPV for about £12k. I plan to keep it for at least 6 years. Looking at the supermarkets, I've narrowed my choice down to the Renault Scenic 1.5dci(80), Focus C-Max 1.6tdci and Vauxhall Zafira 2.0dti. I could get the Scenic new and the others nearly-new.

We've driven the Scenic and love the interior and looks but have a nagging fear about the build quality/reliability a few years down the line. Is it worth the risk?? Are Renault likely to have solved their quality problems?

The C-max is nice inside though smaller. The Zafira looks OK and has 7 seats (occasionally handy) but even the Elegance model is very drab inside. There are also concerns about the dti engine.

Please help. Thanks
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - jones_the_guard
i've been running a scenic II for the last 2 weeks and its a really good car to drive and use. Mine is a 1.6 Privelidge Auto.
Its comfy and as you say has a fantastic interior, the exterior design is also way better than the Ford/VW van like attempts.

I also test drove the C-Max and whilst it was very good was a bit drab inside, the Toyota Corrola Verso was a dreadful drive, had a diesel engine like a truck and the rear seats that fold into the boot floor are next to useless for anyone over the age of 6, and I don't know about anyone else but I would not want my kids sitting in the rear crumple zone. The centre console also looked like a cheap woolworths Hi-Fi. The Vuaxhall Zafira had a funny smell that made me feel sick, as have all the Vuaxhalls i've ever been in. Drab 1980's interior as well.

The Scenic is full of electronic trickery and I only hope that Nissan were involved with this aspect of the design as my previous experience of French electrics has not been entirely posistive.
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Aprilia
I would definitely steer clear of Renault.

Have driven the Zafira and the C-Max (Euro LHD versions). I found the Zafira too van-like. I really rate the C-Max TDCi - I had 48mpg out of one over 1500 miles of mixed driving in France and Germany. Climate control is effective and I found the driving seat very comfortable. I think you may get a brand new one from Motorpoint for £12k.

Don't forget the Nissan Almera Tino either - exceptionally reliable, 4-star NCAP and (IMHO) nice styling.
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Imagos
read this..www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=24...5 and weep.
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Altea Ego
"and (IMHO) nice styling"

got any of that smoke left over for me? must be strong stuff.
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Aprilia
"and (IMHO) nice styling"
got any of that smoke left over for me? must be
strong stuff.

It's the same stuff Renault designers were using when they were working on their current generation of cars (Avantime, Vel Satis.. anyone?).
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Altea Ego
I can only say that my Mk1 scenic, and those owned by people I know were largely trouble free rewarding and versatile.

I think however you will find that that the 1.5 dci is underpowered for its size and weight, and hence may not be as economical as you think. I would seriously suggest the 1.9dci if you go for the scenic
Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - bikemade3
Local VX dealer selling Zafira 2.0DTI " Life" models @£12795 OTR.
Bought a new 2.0 DTI last month done 1100 miles and not used any oil to date, VX may have sorted out the over maching of the cylinder bores.

Tried a C Max couldn't get comfortable in it.
Dismissed the Scenic as i want a car to drive and not sit in the garage being repaired.

Renault Scenic - safe to buy? - Ivor E Tower
My Mk 1 Scenic 1.9DTI is just approaching its sixth birthday. No build issues at all, and it has been reliable. Hope I'm not tempting fate, but I have been a little concerned by the number of recalls. However, previous experience suggests that maybe Renault were playing safe, and some of the items for which recalls were isued may just have been left by other manufacturers for the owners to find out, and to pay for. The ride is good, it made some roads that were previously bumpy seem smooth. Interior is amasingly spacious and versatile, and the latest models are better and use higher-quality plastics for the interior trim. If I could afford to change the car, I would have no hesitation in the latest Scenic, but even if I had the money, there is no need to change as there is nothing wrong with the one I've got.