sh 93 or 95 for same price? - silverfox
I'm currently looking for a second hand Saab 93 for upto £6500 but have noticied that there are a few nice 95's in the same price bracket. Anyone have any advice or opinions on which model to go for (93 or 95)? I'm not intending to do a lot of mileage (10000 max pa) and most of it urban with the occasional weekend excursion. Having checked consumption rates, insurance and servicing the overall running costs for both the 93 and 95 look to be the same. Are there any (less than obvious) pros/cons in going for the larger car?

Many thanks
sh 93 or 95 for same price? - Truckosaurus
Ahoy Backroomers,

This is my first post, although I've been reading the forum for the past couple of months.

I own a '98 R-reg Saab 9-5 so finally can contribute usefully. :-)

The major difference between the 9-3 and 9-5 is that the 9-3 comes as a hatchback whereas the 9-5 is only a saloon or estate.

The boot in my 9-5 is massive but the opening is fairly small, so loading takes some thought.

The handling on the 9-5 is meant to be better, but my 2.3 SE was too softly suspended for my tastes, so I invested in some Eibach springs and shocks which made things much better.

My car has done 126k miles and is still going strong.
I forgot to say, there is a good forum at www.saabscene.co.uk if you have any more indepth questions on Saabs.

(apologies if recommending other forums is bad form).
sh 93 or 95 for same price? - patently
Welcome to the BR ....

So, is your nom de plume (nom de keyboard??) a reflection on the 9-5?
Very drole Patently. It comes from an episode of the Simpsons, where they visit a Monster Truck Rally, the star of the show is a monster-truck in the style of a dinosaur.
sh 93 or 95 for same price? - jones_the_guard
Until recently I had a GM900 (same as old 93 essentially) and business partner of mine had a 93 and then a 95.
I could not tell any real difference between the way my 900 and his 93 drove (both still Cavalier based) however they were both far quiter than the 95 (Griffin) on the motorway. The 95 had quite a lot of noise for rear seated passengers.
I'm running a 3" straight through exhaust on my 9-5 (part of the 250bhp/300lb-ft stg-3 kit from www.maptun.co.uk ) and whilst cruising the car is literally silent. Although once the loud pedal is pressed things change.
sh 93 or 95 for same price? - dom grimes
I had a 95 2.3T vector for a couple of years and it was one of the best cars I've driven. for high mileage drivers ( 50k pa for me) the seats can't be beaten. There was a bit too much power in through the front wheels and the 2.3t would be calmer, but it was a big comfortable, classy car - apparantly it is a big favorite with architects !. it's also not german !!

dominic
sh 93 or 95 for same price? - Mike H
No contest unless you need the hatch. More room and more comfort in the 9-5. 9-5s are a bargain, for some obscure reason they seem to be totally undervalued. Mine is the 2.0 eco manual with the Saab performance upgrade (to 192bhp from 150), and Eibach suspension. 35mpg at 100mph (in Germany - got back today). Quietest car I've owned. Go for it!