Biodiesel - Neil
Having recently bought a diesel (Golf GT TDI - we were originally going for the Seat Leon 20VT Cupra but for a 25000 miles pa fuel bill) I was curious to see where I could purchase biodiesel or find out if or when it would be available. A trawl of the web has yielded some interesting technical papers discussing and comparing the emissions content and environmental credentials of various fuels but not a great deal on where they're available.

Nothing on the AA, RAC, or Petrolbusters sites, with the exception on how far I can expect to travel for LPG. Like Chris and the question on the "Is some diesel fuel REALLY better?" thread, I'm quite keen to reduce motoring costs whilst inflicting a little less harm to the environment.

Where can biodiesel be bought?
Re: Biodiesel - Chris
When the truckers sent their (rather depleted) convoy to London, Greenpeace tagged along with a truck running on biodiesel. They may know of sources, but I think you'll have to go to Germany or France to find supplies easily. This is something of a scandal in my view, since the CO2 problem could be significantly alleviated using existing technology. Unfortunately OPEC and the oil companies don't want their cartel dismantled by us switching to vegetable oil. To say nothing of car companies who are spending a fortune on less than impressive petrol electric hybrids.

Apparently if you find a supply you'll have to change the fuel filter after the first tank of biodiesel because the alcohol used to improve the viscosity dislodges the sludge left behind by the fossil diesel. Anyone have any more information?

Chris
Re: Biodiesel - stephen hunt
you can buy biodiesel from france and the USA and it is slitt cheaper than running your cars on diesel but you have to pay tax on the fuel. but it is only 20pence less than the tax on diesel. the time being i am setting up a biodiesel plant in this country but the price is going to be about 80pence per liter so its going to be deerer than diesel. There is a lot of problems in the UK as there is big companys that are trying to stop me from getting anywhere.
Stephen

Great news that at least somebody is trying to sort this idiocy out. Presumably the cost of the diesel is because the tax is the same (while the cost of the fuel is actually higher), despite the obvious environmental advantages. I reckon this stuff should be taxed in the same way as LPG (i.e. hardly at all) since it's so much better all round.

Keep us informed of your progress. I suspect the OPEC countries are against you as well as the "big companies" because if B-D took off it would be Africa, South America and other third-world regions that would benefit most - where else can you grow large amounts of oil crops? And we don't want that because they might pay off their debts and screw up our financial institutions...

Optimistically,

Chris
Re: Biodiesel - Neil
Having read through an overview of the Budget it appears the biodiesel reduction won't be available until 2002. However, I understand that there may be more production costs associated with biodiesel which offset any reduced taxation.

Additionally, the reduction applies only to reclaimed vegetable oil and not to biodiesel produced from rape seed oil grown specifically as a fuel-crop.
> Having read through an overview of the Budget it appears the
> biodiesel reduction won't be available until 2002. However, I
> understand that there may be more production costs associated
> with biodiesel which offset any reduced taxation.

This is why a tax reduction is crucial - I believe the Germans have reduced the tax on bio-fuels very significantly (more than 20 per cent).

> Additionally, the reduction applies only to reclaimed
> vegetable oil and not to biodiesel produced from rape seed
> oil grown specifically as a fuel-crop.

Can anyone tell me why our government is so reluctant on this? Is it scared by "Big Oil"?

Chris
Re: Biodiesel - Andrew Bairsto
You can buy bio diesel in every supermarket in the uk it is called cooking oil,widely used in Germany
Andrew Bairsto.
Germany
Re: Biodiesel - Neil
According to the blurb on www.biodiesel.co.uk there is some additional processing involved besides pouring a few cartons of Flora in the tank - I'd prefer to use a properly tested and developed fuel in my car. I can imagine the adverts, though: Good fuel costs less at Sainsbury's. . . Every litre helps (Tesco). . .

If we are to pay for improved roads and transport then fuel duty seems a sensible form of taxation - the more we use our cars, the more we use the roads, the more we should have to pay (providing the taxation isn't excessive).

Unfortunately I tend to cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil which is probably even more expensive even than diesel.
Re: Biodiesel - stephen hunt
fuel companys control this country.
Re: Biodiesel - Tristan Chaize
Esso used to say "put a tiger in your tank". Surely "put a virgin in your tank" would be more appropriate.

PS I love the modern use of the word "appropriate". My son (10) and a friend used his jumper as a catapult to, between them, "fire" a third boy up into the air. Of course the jumper got ripped. The headmistress wrote to us that this was an "inappropriate" use for a school jumper, and that we would have to pay for a new one. Fair enough to pay for the damage, but I think a catapult is totally "appropriate" use for a school jumper for a boy aged 10.
Perhaps it was a virgin jumper.