Focus cambelt change interval? - Wopr
My wife has just bought a 99V Focus 1.6LX. Stunning car, but we\'re confused about when the cambelt will need changing. It\'s done 53,000 miles and my brother (who\'s in the garage trade) feels it should be done soon.

Any idea on this? And should the water pump be changed too?

Any help appreciated!
Focus cambelt change interval? - Adam {P}
Asked this a while back. Mines on nearly 59,000 and I\'ve booked it in now. I\'m warned it\'s going to be close to 100 quid because of Ford\'s prices but the mechanic in question has warned me what to do if it snaps so It must be close to getting dangeous.

My recommendation would be do it now or pretty soon. You\'ll hear many figures; 60,000 75,000 or even 100,000 but you will have to do it soon.

In my humble opinion anyway.
Adam
Focus cambelt change interval? - Aprilia
I think Ford say 100000 miles or ten years. I would do it sooner.
Don\'t think it drives the waterpump, so this is not an issue.
Focus cambelt change interval? - Mapmaker
£100 is not a lot for trouble-free motoring, is it?
Focus cambelt change interval? - Galaxy
I'll be very surprised if you can get this job done for £100.

The cambelt, tensioner and plastic idler pulleys should all be changed if this job it to be carried out correctly, and this kit (Gates) costs about £90 on it's own. I think you'll be talking about more than £10 for labour.

No, the water pump isn't driven by the cambelt on the Zetec engine, so no worries there.

Yes, the figure quoted by Ford is 10 years or 100,000 miles, but I would also have it changed sooner than this.

There is much information on this forum about when cambelts on Ford Zetec engines should be changed. Try doing a "Forum Search". The subject has been previously discussed in great detail.

Focus cambelt change interval? - henry k
Online quotes from Ford site
Local main dealer £230.
My favourite ford dealer 50 miles away £163
No details if the tensioner and idler pulleys are included.
Focus cambelt change interval? - Adam {P}
It will be about 115 in unique circumstances though. The garage in question is good friends of my Dad. Lucky really. But yes ordinarily I would imagine it will be a bit more.

Thanks
Adam
Focus cambelt change interval? - Snakey
Having posted a similar question to this a while back (for a 99 1.8) I agree with the opinion to change it every 4 years or 50k miles.

I had a local reliable mechanic do it for £100 which I thought was reasonable. The next one will be at 80k and I'll change the tensioner and pulleys then as well.

10 years or 100k still seems like Ford were trying to impress the fleet buyers!
Focus cambelt change interval? - Galaxy
You should have changed the tensioner and pulleys anyway!

My brother recently purchased a 5 year old Ford Mondeo with 12,000 miles only on the clock (genuine!) According to the Ford recommendations this required a new cambelt, due to the fact that 5 years had been reached.

He had the complete Gates kit fitted, which comprises of cambelt, tensioner, and the two pulleys. They gave him the old parts which, knowing that I take great interest in these things, he then passed onto me.

The cambelt that had been removed looked brand new, and even the Gates logo was still readable on it.

The tensioner had no play whatsoever and appeared to be in perfect order.

However, the two pulleys showed considerable signs of wear. They should certainly not have been refitted.

And please remember, this was after only 12,000 miles!

Some have actually said that it's virtually unknown for these belts to go before the 80K or 100K, depending on engine date. However, I don't think I myself will be putting this to the test.