1995 Audi A4 1.8T - japdriver
Friend is selling one of these, and I'm considering buying it. A 1995 on an 'N'. Early model without a/c,alloys etc. It's done a genuine 84000 miles and has a fully documented Audi main dealer history. In silver - best colour?
Couple of small dings on real wheel arches have scratched the paint. About £150 to repair.
Interior immaculate, drives very well.

a) what this worth - I reckon about £2600

b) What faults do the petrol turbo & A4 in general suffer from?

All info most welcome.
1995 Audi A4 1.8T - Buster Cambelt
To be honest, the 1.8T in 150bhp guise is pretty bomb proof. It is an excellent engine with bags of torque from about zero revs up to the red line. We have run several A4s and A6s to monstrous mileages with no issues at all. Usual stuff, keep it serviced, use decent oil, and get the cambelt changed every 60,000.

The only real reliability issue was related to a rogue batch of coils from an outside supplier.

The A4 can be a bit of an acquired taste, the springing is pretty hard and the seats take a while to get used to. The only criticism we ever get from users is that the radio equipment is useless and won't pick up Test Match Special.

No idea what it's worth, a nine year old car is worth what someone will pay for it. For me they look best in Ming blue but the one I have just taken over is, of course, silver.
1995 Audi A4 1.8T - madf
Faults:
front wishbones - standard fault on all pre 98 models. £250 per side. Check if replaced. Bushes squeak (check for bodge of WD40 spray)
Catalysts have manufacturing fault: baffles break . £500 per each. Check replaced.

Aircon unreliable. condensers subject to damage : £500plus

Timing belts and TENSIONERS: MUST be changed regularly.

Coil problem is post 98 I recall.

madf

1995 Audi A4 1.8T - Buster Cambelt
Never lost a catalyst or had an aircon problem in almost a million miles with these (small fleet - not all my miles). If it has climate then leave it running all the time.

Lots of cars have had the lighter and later wishbones fitted if the old ones have been replaced - much better.

We had one 96 A6 that had the coil problem but only after Audi replaced the originals with new ones!!! In point of fact it was one smallish batch of coils that seems to have created an urban myth that this engine has a problem.