1999 Celica 1.8SR - Lowering - SteveA
I have just bought one of these cars, and I am thinking, purely for cosmetic and superficial reasons, of getting it lowered a little. To be honest, I don't drive it hard enough to be able to claim I want to improve handling, or anything like that - I just think it'd look nicer a bit lower.

I see from various websites that I can go out and buy a set of lowered springs, but is that all there is to it?

Do I also need to replace shock absorbers? If I lower the ride height by as much as 35mm, am I going to start having serious grounding problems, or handling problems?

Most of the springs I have seen talk about a 35mm reduction in ride height, but I'm not convinced that, with the standard wheels on it, there'd be enough clearance left inside the wheel arches.

If it is a problem. are there options to get springs that lower the car rather less than 35mm?

If it's going to compromise the car significantly, then I'll forget it. But it *would* be nice (then, so would low-profile tyres, but that's a bit expensive for me to consider *just* yet).
1999 Celica 1.8SR - Lowering - T Lucas
I've had loads of Toyotas etc from Japan that have been lowered and just about everyone of them has had the ride spoilt quite significantly.I would suggest bigger wheels with lower profile tyres,around £500 with tyres should cover it.
1999 Celica 1.8SR - Lowering - Andy P
I'd always recommend changing the dampers as well - that way you reduce the risk of spring dislocation. This is a good place to start:

www.demon-tweeks.com/catalogue/product_detail.asp?...6

Andy
1999 Celica 1.8SR - Lowering - Ben {P}
www.buypartsby.co.uk do KYB lowering springs cheap, but dont appear ot list them for that car. i expect they do them so give them a call, prices of springs sets for other cars are very good.