Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - SteveWatkins
I have had trouble starting my car for a few weeks. It happened suddenly. The car would start eventually after turning the ignition but it would then blow black smoke out of the back.

I suspected the heater plugs. I changed these for new ones. Problem still existed. I then changed the air filter and the fuel filter. Still the same problem. I have put injector cleaner in the fuel and its still the same problem.

What I noticed tonight whilst messing is when I turn the ignition and let the heater plugs go out and then repeat this 3 times, it will start ok. Almost as if the plugs arent reaching temperature. I tried looking for some timer on the plugs but couldnt find it.

What controls the plugs and where?

I located a relay by the fusebox (footwell) and tested this. It closed when 12v is put across the contacts.
Thanks
Forgot to mention, car has 175,000 miles and is 1994 (M) reg.
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - Dynamic Dave
When you say you changed the glow plugs, did you use aftermarket parts?

Might not have applied to a Vauxhall, but I can remember reading in at least one other thread here that aftermarket plugs have given people problems.

They have NGK on the packet. M10 : 15-20N.m - 7880 - Y-710J
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - Dave_TD
Had one of these about 4 years ago (mine was a K-reg, 187,000m though!) Mine always used to take an age for the light to go out (20-30sec) but then fired up nicely. I can't be of much help as to whether the plugs are timed or switched off when they reach a given temperature, i would suspect a combination of the two as even with a hot engine they were working for quite a few seconds. It sounds more like the power's not all getting to the 'plugs rather than a problem with the 'plugs themselves, maybe you could borrow some from a known good engine to compare?
The glowplug warning light comes on on my Skoda for a couple of seconds to let you know the bulb is OK, doesn't use the 'plugs when ambient temperature is above +4C :-)
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - Sprice
The glow plugs are very expensive on these Isuzu engined models, from a dealer they are in the region on £40 each! Starting problems on the cars is attributed to either faulty glow plugs or incorrect valve clearances. as the plugs are new, check the valve clearances and I reckon your problem will be solved.
I paid £40 for 4 glowplugs. Car started fine this afternoon after heating plugs 3 times in a row and then starting car.
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - spartacus129
how do i check this. can you give me some more info on this please. any help will be great.
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - Screwloose
Steve

Listen to sprice. Tight tappets are by far the most common cause of bad cold starting on these engines. Checking them takes just a few minutes.

Never seen one yet that wasn't too tight.
Vauxhall Cavalier TD starting probs - mgk luton beds
get your tappets ajusted