Changing the oil On my new M5 - Ross Lavery
I have recentley bought a 2000 (W) Reg BMW M5 Fitted with the 5.0 V8 Motor, I plan to change the oil recentley and was wondering if it was ok to use fully synthetic (Castrol GTX Magnatec) In these, or if there is a special Oil BMW Reccomend, I was told by a dealer \"Theyd get back to me\", Being a Peugeot Techinician for 20 years I dunno much else!!

Cheers for any help
Changing the oil On my new M5 - GIM
Castrol Magnatec isn\'t fully synthetic. Mobil 1 (made by Exxon Mobil) is fully synthetic at about £39.00. My local car accessory shop sells \'Comma\' oil (also allegedly owned by ExxonMobil) and swears it is Mobil 1 in a different package at about £19!!!
Sorry yes Mobil one is what I meant not castrol, is it OK to use that in these motors? I dont even know if they run on fully synthetic anyway?
Changing the oil On my new M5 - John S
Ross

I believe fully-synthetic is recomended on M Tech engines. There\'s also a BMW longlife spec on some oils - including Halfords own brand 0-40 fully synth. The Castrol for these is almost certainly SLX, not Magnatec, which is semi-synth.

JS
Changing the oil On my new M5 - Ian D
Comma oils are owned by Esso, but the Comma range of oils are not the same as say Esso Ultron. Comma 'Syner G' 5W40 fully synthetic oil meets many of the modern car standards (read the container or visit the website for details) and this oil is in fact the same as Halfords 5W40 fully synthetic oil of which they (Halfords taht is) often do a 2 for 1 offer which is pretty good value. Certainly Comma full synthetic oil is NOT the same as Mobil 1...
Cheers for the replys lads, I think ill be using Fully synthetic in the beemer with whatever BMW Reccomend