Insuring an au pair - Nsar
I found a thread on this from 18 months ago but it was a bit inconclusive. Just been quoted a fairly dispiriting £1500 fully comp on a grp 1 Polo to insure our 21 yr old au pair who starts in a month's time. That was with my current insurer L'pool Victoria.
Mark - if you're there, in the other thread you suggested N Union who I'll try now. Anyone else got any thought? I just want the cheapest way to do that isn't tricksy in the hope that the insurer won't notice.
Cheers all.
Insuring an au pair - Mark (RLBS)
Norwich Union have been very reasonable with us - especially when you consider that at any time I am the only Brit insured to drive our cars.

Very good/painless on claims as well.
Insuring an au pair - Stuartli
It's probably to do with the fact that most au pairs are young (no good if not!) and will be assumed to have come from abroad, with experience only of driving on the righthand side of the road.

Therefore our driving laws, signs etc will be new to them and the insurance risk will be higher.
Insuring an au pair - SjB {P}
Agree, Stuartli.

My Czech wife, then girlfriend and au pair to a friend, had four very expensive accidents in the space of twelve months. She comes from a town where three cars in a queue is considered to be the rush hour, and rushing hither and thither, had the attention span of a gnat.

After our wedding, she was of course no longer considered to be a visitor to the UK, and was compelled to take the UK driving test. In preparation for this, she took about ten professional driving lessons despite already having a Czech licence.

This proved to be the best investment that could possibly have been made. Far from being offended that she had to take another test, she studied hard, determined to do well. The outcome was full marks in the theory test, and breezing through the practical test. She now drives with great awareness, excellent anticipation, and the odd snatched (non synchro) reverse gear in her Pug aside, good mechanical sympathy.

The transformation is nothing short of incredible, and is proof that with the right mindset, education works.
Insuring an au pair - Stuartli
That's a delightful story with a very happy ending.
Insuring an au pair - J Bonington Jagworth
"Insuring an au pair"

Against what..? :-)