van or car - egor
Hi,
I want to get shot of our petrol estate and replace it with somthing diesel.
Would i tbe cheaper to get for instance a astra van instead of a estate astra, i'm thinking initial cost aswell as insurance.
Ian
van or car - Vansboy
Your van insurance will usually be based on your job & the vans use.

A courier = £$£$£$£$£$ in premiums.

A florist = £$£$£

Lots the 'direct' insurers won't quote, they'd expect you to be moonlighting as something or other part time.

There arevan insurer links in the useful website page, I think. if not I'll post some here.

Also have you looked at the price of vans??? So many estates are better value then the comprable van!

VB
van or car - Hugo {P}
I agree with VB. I looked into this in great detail a while back.

I ended up getting a Renault Trafic, 2400kg gross weight - similar size to a SWB transit, but half the price of a transit in similar condition.

I nearly went for a friend's Renault Savanna (21 estate H reg) if I couln't get my van.

To me it was better value for money than a similar sized van because.

The mileage is usually lower,
They have often been better maintained in their later years,
They are often in better condition, as they have normally been used as cars to carry family etc, not for carrying building materials and rubble,
Many local council tips will not allow vans at all, charge for them or require you to have a permit. Car drivers are allowed to come and go as they please.
They are often cheaper than vans.

So, unless you HAVE to have a van I would go for an estate car that has been well maitained and mechanically ok. Whether you want to trade appearance for price is up to you.

Hugo
van or car - egor
THanks for the replys.
So maybe a citroen berlingo or renault kangoo with the rear seats and rear windows would be a good compramise?
van or car - Quinny100
We've got a Berlingo Multispace at work. Its used as a service/delivery van most of the time and is no more trouble to use than the standard Berlingo we've got, but we can flip the seats up and 5 of us can go out in it.
van or car - Vansboy
depending on your budget, these models are showing up in reasonable numbers, at auction, from Motability.

You'll get a low miles, or VERY low miles one if you click Auction View, link to our left.

Watch out for BAD repairs from the, more often than not, minor accident (car park & garden wall) damage, this fleet attracts.

& take a good look inside the car.Some have carried passengers for regular hospital treatments & people with mobilty diffuculties, can wreck pretty trim.

Also, check if it's had a wheelchair crane in the back, lots of holes & mounting brackets removed.

VB