Us and Oz - frostbite
Not too many years ago, I was under the impression that it was just us and Oz that drove on the left.

However, I have now noticed several other countries do, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the rhd/lhd split is?

Whether the EU will ever have the nerve to try to get us to drive on the right doesn't bear thinking about....
Us and Oz - Stargazer {P}
And Japan
Us and Oz - Adam {P}
Can't comment on the split Frostbite but imagine if we did have to switch sides so to speak. Everuthing would have to change from signs, to roundabouts. I wonder what the liklihood of that ever happening is.
Adam
Us and Oz - No Do$h
As we have by far the most densely occupied roads in Europe (based on personal observation, not oodles of statistics before No Wheels, er, anybody quotes some at me) I don't see it happening.

Add most of the Carribean to your list of RHD countries.
Us and Oz - El Hacko
also China, Malta (?), Cyprus, NZ and Republic of Ireland
Us and Oz - patently
also China, Malta (?), Cyprus, NZ and Republic of Ireland

In Malta, the official rule is to drive on the left.

The real rule is to drive in the shade.
Us and Oz - mare
Add

Republic of Ireland
New Zealand
Bermuda
India
South Africa

Effectively anywhere that used to be under BRitish influence, although that doesn't explain why the Japanese drive on the left. Similar to Cricket really.

Sweden used to until late 60's.
i think Canada used to be RHD, but i could be wrong. i did read somewhere that the USA drove on the left in the days of coaches and horses, but changed after independance out of spite i suppose. Probably complete rubbish though.
Us and Oz - NowWheels
As we have by far the most densely occupied roads in Europe

No Dosh, aren't you bering unfair?

In my experience, British drivers aren't really all that that dense. They often have to be quite clever to keep going in all that congestion, so don't be too hard on them :)
Us and Oz - No Do$h
>> As we have by far the most densely occupied roads
in Europe
No Dosh, aren't you bering unfair?

Errrr
In my experience, British drivers aren't really all that that dense.

Not driven much lately then. Pretty dense bunch based on what I see each day.....
They often have to be quite clever to keep going in
all that congestion, so don't be too hard on them :)

;o)
Us and Oz - Mapmaker
Basically in the Empire we drive on the left. The rest of them drive on the right - particularly those countries conquered by Napoleon who introduced French practice elsewhere.

www.2pass.co.uk/goodluck.htm

www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/
Us and Oz - AngryJonny
Australia, New Zealand, certain parts of Africa, South Asia and Japan drive on the left, as well as the UK and Ireland.

I believe that Sweden used to drive on the left, but they switched over to the right. This was then followed by a temporary period of severely reduced speed limits. Why do I suspect that if it ever happened in Britain the new limits would be permanent?

Anyway, that's why we get so many grey imports from Japan... they drive on the left too.
Us and Oz - Mapmaker
The second of those links makes the road numbering link look non-nerdish!
Us and Oz - CM
was it true that in Italy they used to drive on the left in town and on the right out of town. Can't imagine it was but seeing as it is Italy........
Us and Oz - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
was it true that in Italy they used to drive on
the left in town and on the right out of town.
Can't imagine it was but seeing as it is Italy........

They drive/drove on the right BUT the steering wheels were on the right in the 20s and 30s. Allegedly so they could see where the edge of the road was when zooming up mountain passes in Bugattis, Alfa Romeos ,Lancias etc.
Also had centrally mounted throttle pedals like contempoary Bentleys and Alvises.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Us and Oz - Hugo90
www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/#cars
Here is an article with all you want to know about who drives where on the road, and how it got that way.
Us and Oz - malteser
Anoraks anyone?
Roger. (in Spain).
Us and Oz - Sprice
As pointed out, Sweden did used to drive on the left as per UK, and changed to driving on the right over a certain weekend in September 1967, and apparently it went very smoothly. However, it should be pointed out that Swedish cars were LHD therefore switching to driving on the right made sense, which it wouldn't in the UK.
Us and Oz - Mapmaker
My father told me that Swiss colleagues of his ran RHD cars - certainly in the early 80s - so they could see where the edges of the road were.
Us and Oz - Alfafan {P}
I read somewhere that to get people used to the idea they arranged things so that even-numbered vehicles changed one week-end and the rest changed the next weekend. ;)
Us and Oz - frostbite
So, guessing wildly, it looks like getting on for a 50/50 split?

In which case, why do some manufacturers make such a lash up of converting their LHD to RHD?

Or is it just the French & Germans?
Us and Oz - PhilB
The website mapmaker listed earlier suggests 28% of the worlds roads are in countries which drive on the left, and 34% (almost 2 billion) of the worlds population drive on the left.

www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/#cars
Us and Oz - Alfafan {P}
Presumably the other 38% drive down the middle?
Us and Oz - Robin Reliant
When Sweden changed from left to right in 1967 all traffic bar emergency vehicles were barred from the roads for a full weekend (I think) while signage and street furniture was altered.

Initially after the change the accident rate went down as people were very cautious and aware of the change. Over the next few years, however, the accident rate soared and took quite a while to return to pre 67 levels.

This was in a country which at the time had a very low vehicle count. Imagine trying to effect such a change in GB to-day. I personally think would be impossible, given the cost and the logistics involved.
Us and Oz - No Do$h
High Costs?

Logistical Nightmare?

Sounds like a policy proposal from Gordon himself. You heard it here first folks.

Us and Oz - BazzaBear {P}
But first they'll fit loads of cameras which give massive fines for anyone caught on the wrong side of the road.
Us and Oz - NowWheels
But first they'll fit loads of cameras which give massive fines
for anyone caught on the wrong side of the road.

only solution is to hedge our bets, and join the 38% of the world's population who (Alfafan tells us) drive down the middle
Us and Oz - BazzaBear {P}
I think you've misread the statistics AF, the two percentages listed aren't mutually exclusive, in fact one is a subset of the other. Sort of.
Us and Oz - NowWheels
I think you've misread the statistics AF, the two percentages listed
aren't mutually exclusive, in fact one is a subset of the
other. Sort of.

I think AF knew that, and (like me) just enjoyed the idea of all those people driving in middle of the road.
Us and Oz - Alfafan {P}
BB & NW
Both right. I mis-read the stats and then thought "what the hell!" Why let the facts ge in the way of a good story?