Buying an S Class Benz - MichaelR
Hi there,

Not for me unfortunately, but I'm interested in the information all the same. Assuming someone wanted to spend about £20,000 on a Mercedes Benz S Class (Current model), what would be the best way to do this?

An S320 or S320 CDI would be the desired model, and as most of them have absolutely everything, spec is not really an issue. My first idea was that a high mileage (70-140k) example from a BCA Top Car auction would be the way to go - if the car gets bought it will be kept for a very long time so resale value isnt THAT much of an issue.

But my worry was, why are these cars going through auction? Why would you sell a 4-5 year old S Class at auction and not through a dealer or whatever?

What other ways are there to buy this sort of car for this sort of money? It may be up to a year before the car is bought (Depending on circumstances) and a W or later plate example would be prefferable for private plate reasons.

Anyone got any advice? Are they fundamentally reliable cars?

My thinking was that if my 120k Mondeo gives me no trouble and is lovely, I cannot see problems with a similar mileage S Class Mercedes.
Buying an S Class Benz - Stuartli
I've driven several recent S-Class models, including the 320 and the 320CDI - one of my best mates gets a new one every two years.

Superb cars, wonderful to drive and even the 320 diesel is quiet, has performance within nanoseconds of the petrol equivalent and does more than 30mpg.

However, the main problem with M-B these days is that they are nowhere near as bulletproof reliable as they used to be.

All have proved to have a mixture of irritating faults and have spent quite a bit of time off the road being fixed.
Buying an S Class Benz - Mapmaker
tinyurl.com/3ujk8
Think outside the box!
Buying an S Class Benz - No Do$h
Oooh! £1295! Somebody could be getting a bargain.

What do you reckon it will go for? £2100?
>>What do you reckon it will go for? £2100?

Probably not much more. With £500 on some paint/derusting & £50 for some new leads & a rotor & plugs to sort the misfire, that's a bit of a bargain!
At that kind of money I could be seriously tempted. I may drop the owner a line tonight and go and view it tomorrow as I'm working in Berkshire at present.

Better speak to Mrs ND first though..... :o,
And here's a spares car for you as well. Item 2485410750

Item number: 2483759922 sold last week for £1400.

Old Mercs are cheap & unloved - not quite sure why. By the way, the last 'properly built' car, by common consent was the W123 - finished 1985.
Both 1972 SE spec. Who'd have thought it?
At that kind of money I could be seriously tempted.
I may drop the owner a line tonight and go and
view it tomorrow as I'm working in Berkshire at present.
Better speak to Mrs ND first though..... :o,

Well that was a short conversation :o(
Buying an S Class Benz - Adam {P}
ND,
I've got a cracking insult about who wears the trousers but I feel sorry for you mate! In this last week you've been insulted about your appearance, weight, car and the speed of your internet connection!

Let's hope this week goes better...
Adam
Buying an S Class Benz - AngryJonny
Thanks ND... you've given me my first belly laugh of the evening.

It's just a case of expectation management. Make some serious-appearing plans to buy an AC Cobra or something, and then it'll be a relief when you buy something a little more sensible.
Noooo! I was getting all excited for you.
He's sold it off eBay anyway, so bad luck.
To all those offering their commiserations, my thanks. To be fair, we have just spent a fortune on a new workshop, have bought a sodding huge trailer for MRs ND's business (so driveway space is at a premium) and have committed to two skiing holidays and a trip to visit friends in South America this winter.

It doesn't help that I keep leaving brochures for the Dax Tojiero (Cobra Replica) and the TriTech 'Schmitt (Messerschmitt KR200 replica) lying around and looking longingly at Snap-on adverts.

But I continue my quest for something quirky and have arranged to hire a mini excavator to remove a car-sized chunk of our orchard and turn it into additional parking ;o)
If you want a Merc, you need 2485461699 which will help with the orchard project as well.
A Unimog? I can hear the conversation now. Actually, she may just go for that, as she can use it for her work too.

Hmmmm.....
Had another chat with Mrs ND last night over Venison Burgers at the local National Trust BBQ (Mrs ND is currently doing a spot of gardening and landscaping work for them) and have agreed that IF I can find suitable storage/workspace and I don't go mad spending mega bucks I can buy a quirky plaything to fiddle, fettle and fix. No specific plans, but if I see something I like I may go crazy and make an impulse purchase.

::ducks in anticipation of eBay bomb from Mapmaker::
Ah, but what's wanted in return....?

Could prove a deer meal.....
Oh good grief.
Buying an S Class Benz - NowWheels
Oh good grief.

Ah well, at least it sounds like you're not going to get too much more grief ... as long as you don't spend too many bucks, and don't get too doey-eyed over something like a Triumph Stag.

Mind you, if Mrs ND learns a German accent, she can tell her male progeny about the 2004 extra-car treaty. "Ven I, son, voz ..."

[/very-very-bad-puns]
Ah well, at least it sounds like you're not going to
get too much more grief ... as long as you don't
spend too many bucks, and don't get too doey-eyed over something
like a Triumph Stag.

I fancy something I can fix and drive, not fix, fix and fix again before torching it in despair.
Mind you, if Mrs ND learns a German accent, she can
tell her male progeny about the 2004 extra-car treaty. "Ven I,
son, voz ..."
[/very-very-bad-puns]

Hmmm. I suspect Mrs ND may have a few words to say on the subject of childbirth and its general lack of appeal for her.
Well unfortunately that Audi sold (for £62). And that Merc has gone. With an invitation like that...
Buying an S Class Benz - Roger Jones
As an MB owner, I tend to keep an eye on the scene. I've seen little criticism of the new S-class in terms of reliability and bodywork, unlike the 1997 E-class (particularly on the paintwork front).

How come these cars end up at auctions? Not sure, but private sales are difficult at the prevailing price levels and perhaps they are most likely to be fleet cars or those that have been traded in at non-MB dealers.

If your friend is avoiding MB dealers because of a price premium, bear in mind that they throw in an RAC extended warranty (branded as their Signature warranty), which costs me £400+ a year to renew (as yet unused, so I'm not sure that I'll keep it up). If the dealer is honourable, there will also be some value in the relationship, which might result in a goodwill subsidy or two at least in the early years of ownership. As to dealer competence, I can't enthuse, and for several years have been using a very competent mobile independent for servicing.

Those in the know are pretty sure that "they don't build 'em like they used to", including dealer staff in their less discreet moments; the change seems to have happened around 1996. The previous S-class was a real barge though, and I wouldn't have too many qualms about its successor. I'd be looking at one if I weren't so satisfied with my ageing E320 Coupé.
Much of the reason for M-B's reliability problems have arisen because it has turned away from its status as a supreme luxury car manufacturer to trying to please all tastes, from the A-Class upwards.

As a result, you see Mercs everywhere these days, rather than them being something to which so many aspired.

Mass marketing rather than just building half-a-million or so gratly in demand cars has probably proved a backward step.

BMW might very well find itself in the same boat as it too attempts to meet every type of buyer's requirements.
Buying an S Class Benz - alex

MB having the "status of a supreme luxury car" ?

I might have believed that some years ago but not after visiting Germany where they're widely employed as run of the mill taxis !

alex
It was the same when I visited Yugoslavia in 1991 - and that was a poor country...:-)

Cost four of us the equivalent of £15 to make a 13 mile trip down the coast after the last small boat ferry south was cancelled from Dubrovnik because of bad weather.
Buying an S Class Benz - AngryJonny
You were ripped off. They're much cheaper in Poland. ;-)

In Warsaw, a 20 minute taxi-ride to the Airport from the city centre is about 4 quid these days. About 1.5 to 2 Zloty per KM is the going rate. That's about 50p per mile.

Getting back on topic, W124s tend to be the popular Merc for cabbies over there. Daewoos are even more popular though.
It would only cost you 6p by public transport - as far as you want to go as far as I'm aware...:-)
Buying an S Class Benz - HectorG
Roger

coincidentally I was talking to a friend last night who bitterly regrets selling his E320 Coupe. Whenever I was a pasenger in this car I was very taken with the comfort,refinement and effortless performance.My friend tells me reasonable examples can be bought for £6 or £7k.

Has your ownership of your E320 been rewarding? Has it been more reliable than more recent Mercs, and would you reccomend one as a good long term buy? What about mpg?

HectorG
HectorG

This response was posted yesterday, but somehow got lost.

I'm on my second E320 Coupé.

The first one leaked oil on the day I collected it from S.G. Smith in Crystal Palace. It was repaired under warranty and their explanation was that it had "dried out" from sitting around for too long on their premises. Subsequently, it was faultless.

The only thing to have been repaired on my second one (over three years) is a seat-adjustment switch.

They are known to be prone to head-gasket problems as the miles pile on (a common W124 problem, I believe). W124s are known to be leaky -- occasional spots from engine and rear axle, but not worth worrying about. The coupés are also prone to their rear windows delaminating; indeed, mine has just started to show the telltale whitening at the edge (at eight years old). Another curious weakness, which I have now confirmed on three cars, is that the doors need firm shutting: no gentle MB thunk and, most odd, the driver's door is the worst of the two -- all to do with the elegant pillarless construction style, I guess. Otherwise, it feels part of the old MB "built from a single block of steel" quality.

However, I remain very happy with the car. Having coveted it for some years, I bought one when the prices came down to a reasonable level. I upgraded it to get the colour I would have chosen had I purchased new, plus the five-speed box, plus the fact that it is one of the last to be built (minimum bugs). It still looks elegant and I am fully expecting it to be with me in ten years' time and more, just like my 1984 Capri 2.8i and the Golf VR6 that is now eight years old. They are all on a diet of Optimax, VAG injector cleaner, six-monthly oil changes, and regular high-quality servicing.
Most Mercs built in the last 25 years or so delivered the charisma, style and presence on the road that so many other marques find difficult to emulate.
Alternatively: Most Mercs built before the last 20 years or so delivered the charisma, style, build quality and presence on the road that so many other marques could not emulate.

(See inter alia eBay item above.)
I wasn't referring to the A-Class, Vaneo etc when referring to style in this case....:-)
Roger

Thanks for that comprehensive reply on the E320 coupe.

I've just heard today that I've had an offer on my house, so i may be very tempted to look for a good one. (Hope the wife doesn't read this!)

Any tips on where and what to look for? Presumably, the more recent the better.

Like you, I would be looking to long term ownership and would probably only cover 3 or 4000 miles a year.

I know this is somewhat 'off-topic' not being about the S Class, but any BR's comments on buying 'classic' Mercedes would be most welcome. Indeed, if anyone thinks I'm mad please say so!

HectorG
HectorG

Join the MB Owners Club and check out the ads in the monthly magazine. There\'s also a retail magazine on classic MBs or MBs in general. You can\'t get more recent than 1996. The cabriolets always go for a premium; I don\'t like the idea of having to repair or replace a roof, and once all the windows are down and the sunroof is open in a coupé you\'ve nearly got the same thing anyway. Personally, I wouldn\'t go for less than the 320, but there are plenty of ones with smaller engines around at lower prices.

Check out:

www.mbcoupes.com/

and there is a discussion group:

List-Help: mailto:w124list-request@mbcoupes.com?subject=help
List-Post: mailto:w124list@mbcoupes.com
List-Subscribe: www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/w124list
mailto:w124list-request@mbcoupes.com?subject=subscribe
List-Id: W124 CE Coupes and Convertibles w124list.mbcoupes.com
List-Unsubscribe: www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/w124list
mailto:w124list-request@mbcoupes.com?subject=unsubscribe
List-Archive: www.pairlist.net/pipermail/w124list/
>>Think outside the box!>>

Wonder how much the post and packing would have been?
Buy a W123 Coupe. £500 will get you a project & £100 will get you a donor for it. £3k will get you something half decent. 10k will get you a superb example.

The last proper MB, before the accountants got their hands on the designers.

Join the excellent msn discussion group for it, for hints & tips before you buy.
Roger
many thanks for those great links. I'll let you know how I get on providing my house sale doesn't fall through!

Mapmaker
what's the W123 coupe and when was it made?

HectorG
viewimages.mbz.org/by_chassis/Coupe/

www.c********.org/review_18888.html

Plenty more.
See the second link (c********) has been treated as dubious!

tinyurl.com/5llgh
Can't fathom out why "car survey" link should be treated as dubious...:-)
Buying an S Class Benz - Dynamic Dave
See the second link (c********) has been treated as dubious!

That's because someone once flooded this forum with that site in nearly every post he composed.

This one is for sale at 2,850.

stev4u2c.freewebspace.com
In Poole. Just ripe & ready for ND to have N more D.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1 a lovely example; one owner since 1970; in South Africa until 5 years ago, so no rust.
Tempting, but my toy quotient for the year has been filled I'm afraid.

Bit confused by the One Owner/import from the S.Africa/Collector selling bit. Surely this has had two owners?
Come off it - cheaper than a sat nav setup. Perhaps the collector/owner came from South Africa with his car?
No, the toy budget is being spent on one of these: www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/l200/
Next year I should have a bigger toy budget all to myself. Now did I hear "Maserati"?
That's NOT a toy. That's an important investment in a fundamental asset which is a cornerstone of Mrs ND's business undertaking.

My proposed toy for you is cheaper than the Sat Nav system you're running.

Backbone, man!
That's NOT a toy. That's an important investment in a
fundamental asset which is a cornerstone of Mrs ND's business undertaking.

That's spooky. Were you in the room when I talked her into it?

As for this Merc, you may have noticed that it has 6 days to go on the auction. Suspect if will be closer to £3k when complete.

No, my sites are set on bigger game.....
3k is cheap for a reliable car that won't spent its life on the back of a tow-truck!
Buying an S Class Benz - drbe
Roger Jones

Could you email me with info. on your mobile mechanic, please?

regards

Don drbe