best used small car for 2k? - selfy
Hi,

I'm looking for a small car for 2k or less. Desirables are decent acceleration & torque and reasonable levels of comfort. What are your recommendations?
Re: best used small car for 2k? - ChrisR
For 2K why buy a small one? Do you live in a city centre? A big squishy Xantia estate turbodiesel will carry three-seater sofas around if you need it to, is very torquey, and will give you the best part of 50mpg. Comfort is as good as anything on the road.

If you must, a Fiat Punto TurboD will go like stink and do the 50mpg thing as well.

Chris
Re: best used small car for 2k? - ladas are cool
if you want a good little car, i would go for the nissan micra, as 2 grand will get a bubble shape one. also these cars are very reliable, built in england, nippy, and economical.
Re: best used small car for 2k? - selfy
Hi Chris

It's not me it's for my wife, she likes small cars and it will be driven around congested north London on a daily basis.

I'll look at the TD Puntos, I have only driven a 1.1 petrol Punto and it was dead slow with very heavy steering.

ChrisR wrote:
>
> For 2K why buy a small one? Do you live in a city centre? A
> big squishy Xantia estate turbodiesel will carry three-seater
> sofas around if you need it to, is very torquey, and will
> give you the best part of 50mpg. Comfort is as good as
> anything on the road.
>
> If you must, a Fiat Punto TurboD will go like stink and do
> the 50mpg thing as well.
>
> Chris
Re: best used small car for 2k? - Honest John
That's very good advice from Chris. Just make sure it has clean oil or you'll be in for a very expensive timing chain failure.

HJ
which chris do you mean???
Re: best used small car for 2k? - David W
Sorry LAC I just can't let this one go. Sometimes the therapy slips.

If you had any of the car experience you claim you would *know* the Micra is known for timing chain failure with less than frequent oil changes.

Hence HJ had to mean you.

Having said all that a well maintained '93ish Micra is a super town car, I look after a top spec 1.3 and it's great.

David
i know about the micras chain problem, but i dont know about the punto D, so i was wondering if HJ meant that the punto had problems. (also not many people say i did something good, so i wondered)
Re: best used small car for 2k? - David W
No HJ wouldn't have meant the Punto because that has a timing belt, even Fiat advise a check and change if required at 36,000 miles on those.

Only 1.35hrs labour and a belt at £15 though, plus the tensioner if you're sensible.

ChrisR is right though, a £2K TD Xantia is possibly the most motor for your money in this range if you can live with the size.

David
Re: best used small car for 2k? - Lee H
Hi

I'd think it'd be worth looking at a Citroen ZX TD if you can find a decent one. Looking on Autotrader the other day, there were lots available for less than 2k.

Worth checking out the car by car breakdown on the menu on the left for what to check on the ZX (or any other car).

I'd probably try and find a 1.9TD Avantage as this will have power steering and will have fewer things to break than an Aura, and potentially the sportier volcane will have been thrashed, but a decent volcane is an excellent car. Avoid red though.

'Course there is a lot of choice now for 2k, but I think the ZX TD is excellent value, even if it is beginning to look a little old. A bit like me.

Lee.