A299-does anyone know what this is? - volvoman
Pretty low down on the Motoring Richter scale I know, but.... On the M2/A299 not far from Herne Bay there's a section of dual carriageway which passes through quite a large 'underpass' 100-200m long with cameras and illuminating warning signs (rather like those at a level crossing) at either end of it. Aside from the fact that a small road passes over it, there seems to be no real reason why it's so big and why they didn't just use a bridge for the crossing. It almost looks as if someone in the EU had one left over from a grand project somewhere and decided to dump it in the Kent countryside. Does anyone know the reason for this thing?
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Jonathan {p}
Do you mean here?

tinyurl.com/2jhj6

{Link shortened using tinyurl.com . DD}
Drat Jonathan, the Streetmap site doesn't appear to want to work properly! Does it identify/explain the 'underpass' in any way?
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Stuartli
Right click on the link above and select Open in New Window.
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Pugugly {P}
Not being familiar with it, it appears from the , helpfully, provided map that it may have been caused to be "sunk" into a cutting as a noise pollution issue - or to facilitate the retention of the local Golf Club's 15th green !
Sadly, I still can't view the map properly but I can tell you it doesn't look like it's been sunk. The local area is quite flat and the ground immediately around the 'underpass' seems to have been raised rather than a cutting been made. Viewing from the carriageway, there appears to be no reason for this thing. This is starting to bug me :)
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Dynamic Dave
Sadly, I still can't view the map properly

Try it now.

DD.
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Civic8
I gather it was due to protests.it seems the carriage way passed across green belt which was also a golf course.cant be certain of this as it was rumour at the time of being built.I go to herne bay a lot.its peacefull or at least was.things arent what they were.?
--
Was mech1
It`s the A2990.A299 is between and further M20/M2.use it a lot.
--
Was mech1
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Rob C
I always thought it was just farmland, probably a farmer who had a stronger case than that poor chap whose house is surrounded by the M62.
I presume the complex lights and barriers are for RTA's and special dangerous loads.
A299-does anyone know what this is? - Rob C
www.hochtief.co.uk/profile-A299.html
Thanks all - my hunger for knowledge has been sated for the present!

Environmental reasons eh? Well it must have cost a fortune but I'm sure the locals are pleased with it and I'm glad it serves some useful purpose!
As a matter of interest.there is a house which has been built around on A299.during the construction of the euro rail system.Last I noticed it was totally cut off from A299.but seemed to be rebuilding what I call next door.? As its straying from subject wont mention it again.Just amazed house is still there.?
--
Was mech1